Trotting

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Trotting

Post by Vole »

For heavy water - not that I can remember what that is - or big fish, an 11' (-ish) Nottingham pattern. "Harcol" or B. James "Avon Perfection" in my case.
For slower flows, or when only smaller (roach, bream, chub) fish are expected, an ordinary bottom rod - top joint built cane will do; I have two Milbros I like (three, actually, but I haven't used one yet) of different strengths , but all 10'6".

If more reach is needed, out come the carbons, without a moment's hesitation. As they do when the wrist gives out!

The bonus of cane for trotting is the weight of the tip, which is exactly what limits their comfortable use. It helps in casting a light rig, because it can "wind up" against its own inertia, and that same inertia, once moving, sweeps slack line off the water and sets a big hook at long range. This last matters less in these days of barbless or micro-barbed hooks, but the striking-power can still help.

All-built-cane rods at 11' are a bit heavy; I tend to keep those for lake work.

P.S. if I can fettle the ferruleless twelve-footer I just bought, that will be getting an airing on the Lea just about as soon as is legal. The extra foot could be useful!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I mostly fish small rivers so I find a rod of 10ft to 11ft is all I need to trot effectively. I have a a few rods of that length that are whole cane butt and middle with a split cane top and prefer those to Wizard style rods as they are lighter and better balanced. I prefer a decent length handle too, which helps the balance and I've extended the handle on a couple of rods I've restored with the result that adding an extra 6 inches of handle makes the rod feel half the weight. None of them are 'named' rods, but they're similar to a Milwards Floatcraft or Allcocks Holdwell.

I agree with Ron, though, that a longer rod is needed for larger rivers and I find cane rods over 11ft a bit heavy for holding all day. On such occasions I use a Bruce & Walker 14ft XLT. Stiff tip action carbon rod, with a full cork handle similar to a Mk IV with sliding reel bands. The nearest you'll find, I think, to 'traditional' in a carbon rod.

I've got an Allcocks Peerless, a 13ft Spanish Reed match rod which would probably be light enough, and I'm restoring an Allcocks Champion which is similar, but with a Tonkin butt, but I'd be reluctant to use either if there was any chance of a large fish coming along for fear of breaking them.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I have only properly long trot a couple of time’s and that was for grayling on the Itchen free stretch and as it is such a small river using a rod of 12 feet or more would be insane though I must admit the last time I fished it I used a 12 foot F.T Williams rod as it was the only rod I had to hand.

I have now bought a 8 foot light spinning rod in cane just for such river's which should do the job nicely and as a plus also makes a great margin rod. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I would have to agree that for wider, deeper, rivers where you do really need a rod of at least 12’, a cane rod is too heavy for any more than a few hours. Perhaps anglers in the past were made of sterner stuff or I’m getting older, but for a day’s trotting on the Medway or the Kentish Stour I would use my John Wilson signature trotter.

However, I also fish a number of small streams where I find a Chapman 500, re-ringed with bells nigh life rings ideal. The 24” handle balances it nicely and while capable of handling sizeable chub, it’s delicate enough to still enjoy catching a 4 ounce roach.

Finally, and at the risk of sounding iconoclastic, while I love my Wallis Wizard for float fishing on still waters – the perfect all-rounder for roach, perch, tench, rudd, bream and even small carp. I just don’t rate it as a trotting rod. It’s too heavy, the handle is too short and the butt ring is nowhere near enough to the handle to suit a centre pin.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

With regard to shotting pattern, what I use depends on bait, flow, depth, water colour, and the type of bite!!

Bait, if hemp or if hemp has been fed in, any pattern other than bulk 2' from the float, with a no.8 1' from hook, you will be plagued with false bites. Any other bait, then I consider the other factors.

When I first start the session I begin with bulk shot as above, because most of the fish will be near the bottom but as freebees go in they often take higher in the water. If bites dry up or become finnicky or difficult to hit I then change the pattern to 'shirt button' with no.1s or 4's every foot with any extra shot just below the float; again a no.8 1' from the hook. However, a change from 'shirt button' to bulk, with a tad extra depth, when they are feeding well, often catches the bigger fish which lie below the feeding shoal!!

In cloudy water or shallow/fast water I just use bulk!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Spanish reed will break the second you put any real pressure on it.
Agreed, in fact these days I can't think of anywhere I'd feel safe using a spanish reed rod.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thanks for that explanation, GOS. It clarifies why Wallis and the Nottingham men were happy with rods of 11' or so, while matchmen need 13-footers - the matchmans "trot" is 20 yards or less, unless he's drawn an end peg, whereas the old brigade would trot at least twice that.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Has anyone ever tried trotting using fly fishing flies like nymphs, instead of hooked bait. I've read that some anglers do it to catch grayling, but I'm thinking of experimenting with dace in mind!! Can anyone recommend any patterns etc.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I will have to ask my son to tie some for me. I've read you have to hold back more often and to expect bites when doing so. Is that mostly the case in your experience?

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have never been a trotter so excuse my ignorance but why does it matter whether the bait is ahead or behind the float as surely the fish know nothing of their relative positions so why should it make a difference? Is it just that at the moment of holding back the bait rises tantalisingly?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Long Trotting”