Touch trotting?

This forum is for discussing Long Trotting.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Touch trotting?

Post by Deaf Cat »

Having misjudged the weather I arrived on the tree-shaded bank with only my (prescription) sunglasses.

My float disappeared into the gloom too soon with my specs on and just quickly disappeared without them.

So, knowing that I had about 40 yards of travel I just let the float run using my fingertip to make sure the float was held back a little against the flow and waiting for a pull.

I shall not make a habit of it, but it worked - right down to a four inch roach - anything larger was much easier. Of course if a fish had taken the bait and come towards me I would never have known!

I can't be the first to have stumbled on this.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Touch trotting?

Post by Marc »

Very interesting. I've only just got to grips with touch ledgering and with this it's possible to feel tiny taps from minnow on the line so I should imagine, given the tight line needed for trotting, it would be effective.

Always learning.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

JAA

Re: Touch trotting?

Post by JAA »

I've done that (braid main-line is best) and also touch surface fished at dusk.

Return to “Long Trotting”