stret pegging

This forum is for discussing Stret Pegging.
Bowles

stret pegging

Post by Bowles »

Im thinking about using on. Imy local river next month when the season starts. Has anyone on here ever used it? If so was it any good :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: stret pegging

Post by Santiago »

It's a great method but I only use it at close range, perhaps less than a rod lenghts out. Often this method is confused with laying on for they are very similar. The only real difference is that with stret-pegging you let the current move the position of the float every now and again by giving line out. When I did this I found it's quite easy to hook bottom snags and weed as the hook/bottom leads drag along the bottom. So I changed my approach and cast further out intially so the float ended up furthest away, then to change position I reeled in a bit, this allowed the current to lift the bait/bottom leads off bottom and away from snags, before settling back down. Then again, may be I was doing it all wrong but I caught nevertheless. Regardless, it is a great method especially when used with a bait dropper on another rod, whereby one can employ groundbait/loose feed in tight spots on the bottom right next to your hooked bait! Bites are often swift with no messing. Goose/swan quills make great floats for this approach, and the less round they are the better, because they are more steamlined so resist the current less!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bowles

Post by Bowles »

Mmm food for thought, thank you kind sir :Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

There is at least one other thread on here somewhere that covers the topic in detail, with diagrams as well I believe.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

In the Stret Pegging section.

viewforum.php?f=171
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bowles

Post by Bowles »

Cheers chaps, all very interesting.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

There is a video in which John Wilson uses this method to catch so VERY big river carp. From the River Test I think. Well worth a watch. The episode is called "John Wilson Goes Float Fishing".
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Stret Pegging”