I wish I could do this!

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

I wish I could do this!

Post by MaggotDrowner »

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I feel I can cast a good distance now, and it is rare I decide to use a fixed spool so I can cast further. My preferred method is pulling big loops of line and a good underhand flick or swing in from the left when there is space. (Not often, you should see some of my favourite "swims". No more than a hole in the trees really.) I use between 1 and 3 loops to get the distance I want, and I'm fairly accurate now, with only the occasional mishap. :Chuckle:

However on some of the bigger lakes I fish it would be adventitious to cast further. And once you master it, this looks like it could be more efficient. Being able to cast like this chap would be great!

Do you need a specific type of reel? For example, not caged or perhaps even without a line guard? It looks like one fluid motion, but what are the individual steps?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Robbi
Tench

Re: I wish I could do this!

Post by Robbi »

get a side cast reel ( ie: Scout ) and join the dark side :) best of both worlds.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Robbi wrote:get a side cast reel ( ie: Scout ) and join the dark side :) best of both worlds.
:roll: That's cheating, Robbi. :Sarcasm:

But I do want one. :Hahaha:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

:)

once you try one, you'll never go back !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I don't know. I can get one to two rod lengths easy now and I love my pins. It's just longer distances that I cannot manage.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

He made that look easy. I've not fished with a centre pin yet, I will soon but to me the wallace cast looks like double hauling in fly fishing. What it does is loads up the rod with the weight and also sets the reel spinning all at the same time.

After watching that, I think I'll be able to do it, with a little practice of course. Thanks for the video MD. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The really important bit of that vid is what the chap does with his line-hand (the left, for a right-hander, which he is) after he's got the rig shooting out and the reel spinning.
He has a live, running loop of line running over his left thumb at this point, and if he just let go of it, he'd have ghastly tangle: the reel would be paying out line into a loop of slack, faster than the rig can take it away.
Instead, he brings his left hand up at a controlled rate, letting the running loop shrink in a controlled fashion until it's almost straight before letting go of it completely.
His right hand is obscured, but he would almost certainly be braking the reel gently with his thumb as soon as it reached full speed. Again, the object is to keep that loop of slack running, but at a controlled,and ever-decreasing rate (and size).

Try to keep the reel and the line-hand in the same plane; this will reduce the chance of line spilling sideways off the spool.
If you use a less-than-perfectly free-running reel, or oil a good'un with thicker oil to slow it down a bit while you're practicing, you'll find the set-up a bit more forgiving, and split-second mistakes won't matter so much, simply because the reel will not feed the slack loop so fast.

One thing he didn't do - because he doesn't need to; he's well on top of his game - but can help prevent tangles around the reel foot as the rig slows, drops and splashes/touches down , was to twist the rod-arm so the reel handles are facing downwards. This enables any slack still being fed (due to imperfect braking of the reel) to fall off the side of the reel, rather than round the stem (as long as your reel doesn't have a cage or line guard), and many thanks to Alan Roe for showing me that at a teach-in many years ago.

I don't fish rivers much, nowadays, (petrol prices!) and find that I need to re-learn the art each session, and improve as the day goes on; if you can plan a trip where you can practice on fairly close-range swims and work your way up to wider ones as the day progresses, that can be a big help. As can carrying a bulk spool of line, an un-picking spike, a pair of good scissors, and a bag for the cut-up bits of waste line. They're totemic; if you have them, you probably won't need them; if you haven't, you probably will.

Don't be ashamed of using carbon, by the way; you'll learn faster if your wrist isn't aching, and you'll be wielding the rod more actively than usual. Get the timing right first and only then then build up the power.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

He is very accomplished and makes it look so easy but dont forget he is using a weight of at least 1oz. That distance with a float set up would be a lot harder to achieve. It would be impossible for me anyway. :roll: :)

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MD you can cast like that - you just don't realise it yet. My advice to any newcomer to the pin is to make sure they have a reel with a brake on the drum. Setting it so that the line comes off under tension prevents many of the over runs just like the brake on a multiplier - and we know how they can tangle :Hair out:

Vole made a very valid point about controlling the loop with your left hand, it really does prevent most of the problems attributed to casting. After that it just practice. I find that rather than trying to clear the lawn or hit next door's cat with your gear, a trip to the river is far better. After a day or two restricted to the pin (leave all other reels a home), it will become more natural and your distance and accuracy will improve but, like you, when its a really tight cast I still pull off line Nottingham style in order to get into some tight spots.

Unlike Vole, I would suggest using cane rather than carbon as I find their slower action makes casting easier but I do agree that a tired arm makes it all but impossible.

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

I know the guy in the vid from a german forum called "classycatchers.de".
His Wallis Casting is impressive and i can just dream of reaching that level of skill.

Return to “Wallis Casting”