I wish I could do this!

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
JohnL

Re: I wish I could do this!

Post by JohnL »

There are plenty of you tube videos on how to do this MD, just look and have a go. I find a float taking about 6AAA bulked provides a good compromise for learning on. The key really is controlling that loop of line with your thumb/finger/hand and thumb to control the reel spool as it lands.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

It really isn't as tough as it looks...honest! A mate of mine (sam) who I took out for a go on Saturday got the basics of Wallis casting after about half an hour and was casting about 10-15 yards by the end of the day. He'd never float fished before being a through and through fly fisherman let alone used a centrepin. He just brought a hardy conquest and a j w youngs trotter rod (this morning!) He enjoyed it so much!! If you ever find yourself in Herefordshire I'll take you out and give you a few pointers if you like.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I find the Wallis cast very difficult to master. My head seems full of what to do, what not to do and it all gets very messy. I think accompanying someone who is proficient is a better way to learn than trying it yourself. Like a golf swing. (Oops. Did I really own up to that?)

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

I found this video to be quite helpful for people who dont have the opportunity to learn from someone who is already proficient:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I think it's just a matter of setting aside a couple of hours a session, flicking a weight out. I'm not good at wallis casting, mainly using the three fingers cast, but I always have a go. Even do it at a local park or field. You'll attract some funny looks but if it helps.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Boston

Post by Boston »

The secret is to not think about what you need to do,I done that when practising and found I couldn't do it, until one morning,I just cast my float without thinking about it,since then its just second nature...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

And to think ... all these years Mrs AC has been trying to get me to think about what I'm doing, AND what I need to do !!!!! :Chuckle:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Yeah, but I bet she's failed :Chuckle:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

the art of wallace casting is not difficult,what is important is the timeing of the various actions required,get one ahead of the other actions needed and it all goes wrong,practice makes perfect,just dont give up on it,everyone ive converted to a pin has said they would rather fish this way once they have mastered the art of the wallace cast,converting them to cane is a bit more difficult but i live in hope.chubman.

Return to “Wallis Casting”