Need to learn this...

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Firemantim

Re: Need to learn this...

Post by Firemantim »

Cheers St.John, I shall give it a try! Fingers crossed.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

firemantim wrote:I just can't get the hang of the Wallis Cast - must be my timing or simply doin git wrong. Is there anyone who could give me some tips please!!!??? I understand the principle, but as soon as I give a pull with my left hand the line comes flying off everywhere! :brickwall:
the most common mistakes people make

trying too hard ,putting too much force into the casting
rushing things ,moving too quickly through the mechanic's of the cast
not braking at the right time
not holding the reel in the horizontal or rather not in the same plane as the line
although not essential ,not holding the drop line near the casting weight /drop shot
not keeping a tight line too the tip ,when holding it
a poor gate / stance wont help (i like my right foot slightly forwards .a ½ steps worth
using a reel with a poor line guard
the rod held across the body too high/low
people cast too low ,its all about trajectory
casting over open grass on a flat level ,can lead too depth/distance perception deception ,its quite common for people who practice over flat terain to achieve a good distance ,but only too find casting bankside to only cast short distance's
people try too cast a too light a float ,when a heavier float would serve them much better

as a kid i learnt to wally cast in a traditional nottingham style ,a pre wallis style that was fine but when i was getting back into centrepin fishing (2000/1) i was still doing it the same way then a couple of years later i saw someone doing a wallis veriation and read everything i could on it ,watched everything i could and set about teaching myself ,i've probably made every one of the above mistakes in my time (and more) but eventually through persiverance (pig headed stubbeness) one day it just clicked into place and i went from 3 rod lengths to 4 or 5 . theres no substitute for practice ,theres no shortcuts.

what helped me was positive visualisation (replaying the casting procedure in my mind) to get my brain trained in what actions my body should be doing.
practising the movements ,in a ti chi style without a rod ,getting the movement and timing right ,feel
slowing everything down (like in ti chi again) and smoothing my actions
i gave up practicing over grass and just too a rod & pin everytime i went fishing ,to practise in situ whilst waiting for a bite on my actual days intended fishing method (mostly waitng for the barbel too bite ,or waiting for darkness too fall)
getting my stance right helped as well .

these are some video's i made (i'd stopped for lunch ,and thought i'd do them on my fuji finrpix camera (not a camcorder ,just in video mode ) the sound is poor ,the camera chose too focus on a plane off in the distance rather than capture clearly what i was saying only feet awayso i appologise for the poor quality sound ,i might redo them withsubtitles oneday.but in my defence i was actually using a vintage splitcane rod & centrepin (all be it a modern jw youngs heritage with line guard fitted) on the day .

how i first learnt too wally cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQYMz8En0bQ

a sideways wally style cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_Iro_tv10

a underarm wally cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhAP8DIS5A

wallis styled cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d66SxYX7PN0
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Firemantim

Post by Firemantim »

chavender wrote:
firemantim wrote:I just can't get the hang of the Wallis Cast - must be my timing or simply doin git wrong. Is there anyone who could give me some tips please!!!??? I understand the principle, but as soon as I give a pull with my left hand the line comes flying off everywhere! :brickwall:
the most common mistakes people make

trying too hard ,putting too much force into the casting
rushing things ,moving too quickly through the mechanic's of the cast
not braking at the right time
not holding the reel in the horizontal or rather not in the same plane as the line
although not essential ,not holding the drop line near the casting weight /drop shot
not keeping a tight line too the tip ,when holding it
a poor gate / stance wont help (i like my right foot slightly forwards .a ½ steps worth
using a reel with a poor line guard
the rod held across the body too high/low
people cast too low ,its all about trajectory
casting over open grass on a flat level ,can lead too depth/distance perception deception ,its quite common for people who practice over flat terain to achieve a good distance ,but only too find casting bankside to only cast short distance's
people try too cast a too light a float ,when a heavier float would serve them much better

as a kid i learnt to wally cast in a traditional nottingham style ,a pre wallis style that was fine but when i was getting back into centrepin fishing (2000/1) i was still doing it the same way then a couple of years later i saw someone doing a wallis veriation and read everything i could on it ,watched everything i could and set about teaching myself ,i've probably made every one of the above mistakes in my time (and more) but eventually through persiverance (pig headed stubbeness) one day it just clicked into place and i went from 3 rod lengths to 4 or 5 . theres no substitute for practice ,theres no shortcuts.

what helped me was positive visualisation (replaying the casting procedure in my mind) to get my brain trained in what actions my body should be doing.
practising the movements ,in a ti chi style without a rod ,getting the movement and timing right ,feel
slowing everything down (like in ti chi again) and smoothing my actions
i gave up practicing over grass and just too a rod & pin everytime i went fishing ,to practise in situ whilst waiting for a bite on my actual days intended fishing method (mostly waitng for the barbel too bite ,or waiting for darkness too fall)
getting my stance right helped as well .

these are some video's i made (i'd stopped for lunch ,and thought i'd do them on my fuji finrpix camera (not a camcorder ,just in video mode ) the sound is poor ,the camera chose too focus on a plane off in the distance rather than capture clearly what i was saying only feet awayso i appologise for the poor quality sound ,i might redo them withsubtitles oneday.but in my defence i was actually using a vintage splitcane rod & centrepin (all be it a modern jw youngs heritage with line guard fitted) on the day .

a underarm wally cast

wallis styled cast
That last video of the wallis cast really has made me think about the way I've been attempting the cast. Your not so much pulling on the line with your left hand as moving the rod and pin away as you move into the cast. I shall let you know if I manage anything resembling a wallis cast!
Cheers

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

firemantim wrote: these are some video's i made (i'd stopped for lunch ,and thought i'd do them on my fuji finrpix camera (not a camcorder ,just in video mode ) the sound is poor ,the camera chose too focus on a plane off in the distance rather than capture clearly what i was saying only feet awayso i appologise for the poor quality sound ,i might redo them withsubtitles oneday.but in my defence i was actually using a vintage splitcane rod & centrepin (all be it a modern jw youngs heritage with line guard fitted) on the day .

a underarm wally cast

wallis styled cast

That last video of the wallis cast really has made me think about the way I've been attempting the cast. Your not so much pulling on the line with your left hand as moving the rod and pin away as you move into the cast. I shall let you know if I manage anything resembling a wallis cast!
Cheers
its more of doing both at the same time (or nearly) ,it will sound really complicated but as you start your sweep ,you let go of the drop shot/casting weight (practice will tell you when its best point in the forwards sweep for you ,experimenting here will perfect your timming) ,then as your arm & rod continue with the cast (you may of noticed i kept the line tight from my hand too the rod tip ,infact i put a small bend in the tip ,this helps propell lighter floats) ,you give the line a tug/pull back and down slightly making the spool spin ,the forwards motion of the cast (& release) propells the float forwards and out wards in a upwards slow arc ,the pull releases line (slack free flowing) as the float is being propelled outwards ,the weight pulls the free line out with it ,(hense way a heavier float ,works better when learning) you left hand then guides the flowing line ,1) so it follows through .2) keeping it on the same plane as the reel (avoiding many a tangle ) .at the end of the sweep make the rod tip flick upwards slightly ,as this will help elevate the floats upwards slightly and allows the end tackle too swing forwards of the float just as it lands on the water .at the same time the line you've guided should be fairly strait between spool and first rod ring (any slack here will result in a tangle) even if the spool is still spinning apply breaking force as the float approaches the water .

a bit of positive visualisation for you.

forget about the float /weights etc ,imagine theres a small ball of groundbait (or boggy if you prefer) stuck on the tip ring and your using the rod to flick it out to your chosen point.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Firemantim

Post by Firemantim »

its more of doing both at the same time (or nearly) ,it will sound really complicated but as you start your sweep ,you let go of the drop shot/casting weight (practice will tell you when its best point in the forwards sweep for you ,experimenting here will perfect your timming) ,then as your arm & rod continue with the cast (you may of noticed i kept the line tight from my hand too the rod tip ,infact i put a small bend in the tip ,this helps propell lighter floats) ,you give the line a tug/pull back and down slightly making the spool spin ,the forwards motion of the cast (& release) propells the float forwards and out wards in a upwards slow arc ,the pull releases line (slack free flowing) as the float is being propelled outwards ,the weight pulls the free line out with it ,(hense way a heavier float ,works better when learning) you left hand then guides the flowing line ,1) so it follows through .2) keeping it on the same plane as the reel (avoiding many a tangle ) .at the end of the sweep make the rod tip flick upwards slightly ,as this will help elevate the floats upwards slightly and allows the end tackle too swing forwards of the float just as it lands on the water .at the same time the line you've guided should be fairly strait between spool and first rod ring (any slack here will result in a tangle) even if the spool is still spinning apply breaking force as the float approaches the water .

a bit of positive visualisation for you.

forget about the float /weights etc ,imagine theres a small ball of groundbait (or boggy if you prefer) stuck on the tip ring and your using the rod to flick it out to your chosen point.[/quote]

I like tha visualisation bit - more of a flick than a sweeping cast make sense - I'll try it, thanks for taking the time to try and explain things!

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The art of the Wallis cast can easily be mastered - by anyone with three hands
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Julian wrote:The art of the Wallis cast can easily be mastered - by anyone with three hands
...and two brains

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Tadpole wrote:
Julian wrote:The art of the Wallis cast can easily be mastered - by anyone with three hands
...and two brains
Forgot about the brain bit - most important :think:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Have you tried casting Mr Crabtree style? Holding your rod with the right hand? (Page 14) most anglers now tend to use the left hand to wind.
Because of being weaned on "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing" I have always used a right hand wind, and so can naturally use the right handed to flick the reel with my little finger.

If you are right handed you should get a better flick with the right, than a "cack handed' left? This is not hand discrimination by the way just human engineering!

Mr B

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Julian wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
...and two brains
Forgot about the brain bit - most important :think:
Absolutely! It just gets in the way!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Wallis Casting”