Need to learn this...

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Snape
Bailiff

Need to learn this...

Post by Snape »

I must get out in the garden to practice...
Some good videos
http://youtu.be/Z7hiK6bbN-k
http://youtu.be/pHBFJihcoB4
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Need to learn this...

Post by Mark »

I’ve been in the garden and practised many times Snape, I can cast 20 yards without a problem. The problem occurs when I try it over water instead of grass. :hairout: I don't know why it happens, I'm sure it's something subconscious.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Mark wrote:I’ve been in the garden and practised many times Snape, I can cast 20 yards without a problem. The problem occurs when I try it over water instead of grass. :hairout: I don't know why it happens, I'm sure it's something subconscious.
for some its a matter of deceptive perspective ,when you cast over grass ,your casting parallel (in the horizontal) too it most likley flat level ground ,and your brain calculates the force needed to propel the end tackle out to a given point in relationship to its weight & too the level ground .your brain decides what elevation is needed to achieve the correct trajectory .but as soon as your on the bank a foot or two (or more) above the water and since your brain is now trained itself according to how you practiced in your garden its calculations are out and hence your casting fopars

you should be practicing standing on something to elevate you ,so your brain can factor in the difference ,once your brain does this ,further practice will help you hone your rhythm & timing .try practicing standing on a chair or something
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

chavender wrote:
Mark wrote:I’ve been in the garden and practised many times Snape, I can cast 20 yards without a problem. The problem occurs when I try it over water instead of grass. :hairout: I don't know why it happens, I'm sure it's something subconscious.
for some its a matter of deceptive perspective ,when you cast over grass ,your casting parallel (in the horizontal) too it most likley flat level ground ,and your brain calculates the force needed to propel the end tackle out to a given point in relationship to its weight & too the level ground .your brain decides what elevation is needed to achieve the correct trajectory .but as soon as your on the bank a foot or two (or more) above the water and since your brain is now trained itself according to how you practiced in your garden its calculations are out and hence your casting fopars

you should be practicing standing on something to elevate you ,so your brain can factor in the difference ,once your brain does this ,further practice will help you hone your rhythm & timing .try practicing standing on a chair or something
Excellent idea chavender. Once the weather improves I'll be out there standing on a chair! :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:
chavender wrote:

Excellent idea chavender. Once the weather improves I'll be out there standing on a chair! :thumb:
And I shall be doing the same. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

May be you need to ease yourself into it step by step. Perhaps try fishing for grass carp first before king carp.
:hide:

I'll get my coat.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Beresford wrote:
May be you need to ease yourself into it step by step. Perhaps try fishing for grass carp first before king carp.
:hide:
I'll get my coat.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Mark (Administrator)

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

I use a Daiwa TDX 3012, the best trotting reel of the lot!

:sarcasm:

Firemantim

Post by Firemantim »

I just can't get the hang of the Wallis Cast - must be my timing or simply doin git wrong. Is there anyone who could give me some tips please!!!??? I understand the principle, but as soon as I give a pull with my left hand the line comes flying off everywhere! :brickwall:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Good tip is to gently start putting the breaks on with your thumb when your tackle is about 2-3 foot from hitting the water. And start off with a half oz weight chucking it a few meters at a time.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Wallis Casting”