Need to learn this...

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Need to learn this...

Post by Vole »

Three arms and two brains? That's the Zaphod Beeblebrox cast.

Two more bits of the jigsaw puzzle (possible repetition warning, I haven't trawled the whole thread to check): during the scary bit of the cast, with the line running over your thumb ( or, more safely, a "ring" made between forefinger and thumb), imagine a triangle of reel, butt ring and thumb. It is vital to keep the reel lying in the plane of this triangle; if it drops below, a turn or two will jump the side of the drum, and the ensuing slack will burger the cast.
But - and I got this from Alan Roe himself - as the running loop shrinks from a triangle to a straight line, and the time comes to get your thumb out of the way altogether, if you twist your rod-hand wrist so the reel-handles point downwards, then any naughty loops that you haven't quite managed to control will fall off the side, which is less likely to ruin the cast than if they fall around the back of the reel - as will happen with handles up. And was happening a lot to me, until I attended one of his teach-ins. Hugely recommended.
Alan Roe describes the power-stroke of the cast as "Drawing the curtains". He has, of course, nailed it.

The fact that I am frequently to be found unpicking a bird's nest is entirely down to my lack of practice, and a braking-thumb that seems to need to learn everything from scratch each time out.

That reminds me - as long as enough line remains on your reel (and there's no shame in carrying a new spool, just in case), you will improve as the session progresses, so don't try to reach that chub lie on the far bank as soon as you sit down; go for the roach nearer the middle until you've got it all flowing smoothly (by which time the chub will have written you off as some sort of garden gnome with a twitch) and just feed the chub-line sparingly. As the sun drops, sneak 'em a baited rig they really weren't expecting... this tactic assumes a shortage of suitable swims, of course; on un-crowded waters, just rove!

Apologies for waffling.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. The guy in the You Tube videos in the first post 'walliswizard' is actually my mate Glenn. I have told him about the forum and he is interested in joining. Anyway, Glenn was taught to Wally cast by one of this country's finest Wallis casters, a guy by the name of Alan Tomkins. There is another Alan (Roe) who often gives performance casts at the various game fairs who may possibly be the top Wallis caster. Anyway, either of these guys (or Glenn) will happily take you through the art of Wallis casting.

I think the most important part of learning to Wallis cast is to start small. Do not force the cast or you will end up in a mess. Small casts to start with and then build it up with practise. I don't know how far I can Wallis cast but I tend to get rusty with not being able to get out much. It does soon come back though.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Maybe we should organise a TFF Wallis casting masterclass on the banks of a suitable river where we learn to cast and drink tea and eat cake! :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:Maybe we should organise a TFF Wallis casting masterclass on the banks of a suitable river where we learn to cast and drink tea and eat cake! :D
That sounds like a good idea.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

That would be good maybe a stretch of the Avon
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Loop Erimder wrote:That would be good maybe a stretch of the Avon
Which one? (Hants, Warks, Bristol etc?) :sarcasm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Avon
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Warks. Thinking about it we could go anywhere as we don't catch anything anyway
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Loop Erimder wrote:Warks. Thinking about it we could go anywhere as we don't catch anything anyway
I have joined the right forum then :)

The Wallis cast. I tend to describe it as akin to performing Tai Chi, the Chinese exercise routine. The movements are deliberate but not abrupt, precise and steady but without forcefulness. If you end up with a tangle then it's a good excuse to pour a cup of tea, sit down and undo it then start again :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

kevanf1 wrote: If you end up with a tangle
... what do you mean Sir ... "if" ??? :shocked:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

AshbyCut wrote:
kevanf1 wrote: If you end up with a tangle
... what do you mean Sir ... "if" ??? :shocked:
I stand corrected... when you end up with a tangle :) I can go for a dozen sessions and have no problems. Then come the next one I cannot Wallis cast for toffee and end up with the most horrible tangles. I do think the right frame of mind plays a big part in successful Wallis casting too :)

I do have to say that I am most certainly not any sort of expert at the Wallis cast. I can't cast particularly far but what I will say is that I thoroughly enjoy the activity. Almost as much as the actual fishing itself :sun:

Return to “Wallis Casting”