Need to learn this...

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Need to learn this...

Post by AshbyCut »

I was referring to myself, Sir ... but practicing is something I can do in the back garden and dream I'm on the bank.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

AshbyCut wrote:I was referring to myself, Sir ... but practicing is something I can do in the back garden and dream I'm on the bank.
Ah that's fine :) I was attempting to make sure I didn't come across as being big headed or to put myself forward as any sort of expert :) I just enjoy Wallis casting but I make mistakes.

Keep up the practicing sir, it's all good fun :)

By the way, do folks think there are good and bad lines for Wallis casting? On a mailing list I am a member of (possibly the oldest fishing list going, the IAC) the general consensus is that braid is the worst to try Wallis casting with. So here's me using Fireline... I don't think I have ever spooled up a pin with mono.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I find that invisible line is the best and can cast well over a hundred yards with the stuff :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

If you end up with a tangle then it's a good excuse to pour a cup of tea
Kevan, with me it's more likely that I'll be having a cup of tea to celebrate a successful Wallis cast without a tangle... :D I'm sure Mr Wallis spins in his grave, as outrageously as my 'pin, at my 'Wallis casting'.

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

I wonder if Mr Wallis would get in a massive tangle if he tried to cast a shimano baitrunner?

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I wonder if anybody here has attempted an overhead Wallis style cast? Apart from myself that is :) It's certainly not easy but it is doable... just about.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi Gents, :hat:

when I first wanted to learn the Wallis cast, I watched and read everything I could. It was coming together to a degree but not as well as I had hoped.
Then one day while struggling with my pin on the bank, I was approached by a small elderly gentleman who remarked that he had been watching me and asked whether I would like him to show how it is done?
I jumped at the chance and after only half an hour with him, he had me casting 4 rod lengths! Not perfect on every cast but a vast improvement on my previous efforts.

Being able to stand alongside a very competent caster and view the various constituents of the whole action from different angles, made a world of difference for me.

To anyone interested in learning the Wallis cast, I would heartily recommend that if they ever have an opportunity to spend some time with an accomplished caster, do so!
You're looking in the right place now!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I wonder if anybody here has attempted an overhead Wallis style cast?
Only once, and I couldn't have done it without a line guard (which removes the need to keep thumb, reel and butt ring all in the same plane... which in turn would make rotating it mid-cast into something of a grand jete in wellies).
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Hmm, interesting, Vole. I habitually remove the lineguards on all of my pins. I honestly don't think I would quite know what to do if presented with a fishing set up (rod, reel, hook line & float) where the pin had a line guard on it. I've just always used pins without right from my very first one :) I suppose it's what one is used to..

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Kevanf1 wrote:I wonder if anybody here has attempted an overhead Wallis style cast? Apart from myself that is :) It's certainly not easy but it is doable... just about.
I tried one kevan, years ago, it was a trudex with a swim feeder, , , , , , tangled and smacked myself in the face, I shall stick to a normal wallis wang , , it's safer!

Return to “Wallis Casting”