Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

This forum is for discussing Wallis Casting.
Maggot's Dad

Re: Centre Pins and the Wallis Cast

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Good morning all, :Hat:

...just following on from WM, this is something I "discovered" a few years ago, by careful use of the top button, it delivers a very precise amount of oil to your chosen spot. I have mine with me at all times on the bank, it doesnt leak in to your pocket or bag and you can fill it with your chosen oil. (They have increased in price since I first found mine, but then, hasn't everything?).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43982-Pr ... B00122ZJBA

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Thanks for the link MD - it reminded me that I bought one of those as part of my guitar 'maintenance and repair kit' and had quite forgotten about it. Even better, when I arrived home from work this afternoon Mrs GP had been exercising her new bionic hip by going to the shops and buying (inter alia) a 'little present' for me - a small bottle of sewing machine oil! So my 'pins are due to get a bit of tlc before their next outing.

Somerton

Post by Somerton »

Tigger wrote:
Maggot's Dad wrote:Good morning all, :Hat:

...just following on from WM, this is something I "discovered" a few years ago, by careful use of the top button, it delivers a very precise amount of oil to your chosen spot. I have mine with me at all times on the bank, it doesnt leak in to your pocket or bag and you can fill it with your chosen oil. (They have increased in price since I first found mine, but then, hasn't everything?).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43982-Pr ... B00122ZJBA

I like the looks of that ! :Cool:
What a coincidence, last week I was reviewing my bank side CP maintenance kit and was pondering whether to give this oiler a try, which I suppose looks remarkably simular.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRECISION-MIN ... 19d84c5ebf

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Wallis Master wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Alistair Spencer. I am a very keen angler and have cut my teeth using a pin. I was taught by a local legend, who, in his self is a angling great. I'm very much still learning my trade (fishing) but I am reasonable adept at using a pin and wallis casting.

I have conducted various demonstrations and tuition sessions at many shows etc for a very well know reel manufacturer. I have managed to teach people to wallis cast is only 20 minutes!

I am based in Hampshire but travel regularly around the country for fishing.

I am here to help, should anyone need any kind of tips, help or have any questions then please just ask.

From types of pin, oil, line, float fishing and ledgering.. etc...just ask!

If anyone wishes to have a little lesson or wants a day on the Itchen then again, just ask.

I have a few information sheets that show some basic rigs and tips etc suitable for beginners/intermediate pin users.

MY REASONS FOR THESE SERVICES ARE PURLY INNOCENT. Im am not here to make money (a free days fishing perhaps). My reasons for wanting to help you guys are;-
1 Centre Pins are best!
2 Its a beautifully tactile, skilful, and such "pure' way to fish. I want to open people eyes to how amazing it is!
3 I actually find it easier to fish with a pin, I know for a fact that there are some swims with trees bushes etc that are IMPOSSIBLE to fish with a fixed spool...not with a 'pin
4 People say you cant cast the same distances with a 'pin...maybe not... but I can cast over to the other side of the Avon and Stour at wide parts...

Basically learn the art of the WALLIS CAST and it will not only enhance your ability to catch fish, but it will enrich the process of fishing.

Spence
Hi Alistair , I'd love to take you up on your generous offer . I've been meaning to learn the Wallis method of casting for some time but somehow never got around to it . Perhaps we could arrange a mutually convenient venue / date once the snow has thawed and the rivers are back within their banks ..

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Right, Im after some advice...

I have recently bought a new reel (another revolver). I could leave it as is...or I could modify it slightly (just to appease my desire for the "perfect reel"

The modifications I'm thinking about are;-

1 Make and fit some tapered rose wood handles (quite easy)

2 Remove the red anodising (chemical method) and then age the aluminium to give an antique look.

3 Slightly elongate the reel seat mounting plate (just for ergonomics really as I have big hands)

I will keep everything else the same, I want it to stay a "revolver" after all. Honest opinions please....

Keep in mind there is no way I'd sell it...

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Point taken.. But can't really afford a brand new un' besides Gary won't make a solid drum reel due to the possible infringement on the JW youngs work etc! Which is fair enough.

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Have to agree with Ian, if you wanted an antique reel then why not simply buy one instead of adding effects to mimic one. Personally if I bought another revolver Id leave it alone, why change something that is nice to change it to something you could muck up in the process? Just my honest opinion. :Hat:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Just found some old photostats copies from Improve Your Coarse Fishing with Chris Yates and John Wilson on Wallis casting 1992/3.That may help on how to Wallis cast

SM

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

TraditionalAngling wrote:Just found some old photostats copies from Improve Your Coarse Fishing with Chris Yates and John Wilson on Wallis casting 1992/3.That may help on how to Wallis cast

SM

Hi all, :Hat:

..just a short suggestion to add to your post SM,

..... and also bringing the left hand forward with the line on the cast, with thumb and forefinger forming an open loop, to guide the now free-running line between the reel and first eye, can also help to eliminate the line from blowing round the back of the reel (as it frequently does with the seaside winds we have "down here").

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Yes to stop bedding in and line crease...although only minor.
I have used many pins and the geometry aesthetics and feel of the revolver is near perfect! I love the solid drum too.
I have a one off Gary mills too and to be honest I still prefer the revolver( it pains me to say this especially considering the trouble and expense of the reel)!!! Ha ha
The three points I mentioned are me being very, very critical!!

I just think with a little care I can (hopefully) improve on what is a near perfect reel anyway!

That said, it is a huge risk!

Return to “Wallis Casting”