Dick Walkers' Hat

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Jardine
Perch

Dick Walkers' Hat

Post by Jardine »

I was given this hat by Chris Yates a long time ago and its been in the box of Dick Walker books.
Its one of RW's fishing hats, apparently he had quite a few.
I have photographed it alongside "Carp Fishing" from 1961 and always wondered if it is the same one that RW is wearing in the cover photo.
Best regards
Mem
RW Hat I .jpg
RW Hat II.jpg
RW Hat IV .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Dick Walkers' Hat

Post by Mark »

What a gift Mem.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

I guess it was Mark, its quite small in size and I have kept it stored safely with all my RW books.
Good luck with Mrs. A's parachute jump, will you sleep tonight?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Scroll down to summer search lomondside, that looks quite a bit like your hat...

http://www.anglingheritage.org/p-8883-r ... media.aspx

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Dicks hat as expected for someone who liked quality from Christys a top quality maker of hats, be interesting if they currently offer the same or similar hat.
Dave

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Coo! Jealous or what. That must be one of the most iconic hats in all angling.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Reedling wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:26 pm Scroll down to summer search lomondside, that looks quite a bit like your hat...

http://www.anglingheritage.org/p-8883-r ... media.aspx
Thank you Reedling for that very interesting article, yes the same type of hat does appear in a couple of the photos.
I particularly liked the photo of RW casually unhooking a fly from Colonel Crows ear!
Best regards
Mem

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Jardine wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm I was given this hat by Chris Yates a long time ago and its been in the box of Dick Walker books.
Its one of RW's fishing hats, apparently he had quite a few.
I have photographed it alongside "Carp Fishing" from 1961 and always wondered if it is the same one that RW is wearing in the cover photo.
Best regards
Mem
RW Hat I .jpgRW Hat II.jpgRW Hat IV .jpg
Hello Jardine

I went to a book shop in Sherborne, Dorset yesterday and picked up this book edited by Richard Walker (published 1979). Nearer the back of the book is a double page of Dick Tench fishing with what looks like the said hat. This is a wonderful story and what icons of angling.

:Hat:

Dick netting a big Tench

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Dear TT,
yes it is the same type of hat that RW is wearing, the same type that appears in a few other photos including his capture of a 34lb Redmire carp.
It seems that at some point circa 1970 RW's taste in hats changed and he started wearing more sophisticated headwear!
If a museum for angling was ever established I would be happy to donate this piece of angling history to it.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Jardine wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 am Dear TT,
yes it is the same type of hat that RW is wearing, the same type that appears in a few other photos including his capture of a 34lb Redmire carp.
It seems that at some point circa 1970 RW's taste in hats changed and he started wearing more sophisticated headwear!
If a museum for angling was ever established I would be happy to donate this piece of angling history to it.
Very interesting Jardine and what a generous thought Sir!

Return to “Dick Walker”