Perch

Re: Marking the centenary of Dick Walker's birth

Post by Capebreton »

Great ideas. And the book sounds good as well

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I have been trying to get Dick Walker memorialised in Westminster Abbey since around 1987 I have a tremendous amount of correspondence with Prime Ministers, Home Secretaries, MP’s, Dean of Westminster also Prince Charles and others, The Carp Society helped me with a big petition but I’m still in their fighting. In fact I have just send a letter to my MP asking for some action in this Walker’s Centenary Year. I get very angry when I see Z class actors, actresses, sports people and others getting awards for doing nothing except get huge salaries. As one writer Cliff Hatton said “The crime figures for teenagers must have taken a drop in the 1950’s 60’s through Dick Walker and Bernard Venables MBE for their writing”. It made angling the number 1 sport in those days encouraging so many youngsters to go fishing.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I'm thinking that the most basic way we can celebrate RW's life and works is to go fishing on his birthday, whether individually or together. There will, of course, be no need to lie about the results.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm I'm thinking that the most basic way we can celebrate RW's life and works is to go fishing on his birthday, whether individually or together. There will, of course, be no need to lie about the results.
I like this idea .... a lot.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I'm not sure if others have noticed it but we've been at least half successful in this. The new 3-rod coarse licence https://www.gov.uk/government/news/envi ... nce-images has a picture of Clarissa/Ravioli and note about Dick on the website saying it's to celebrate his centenary (although it does mention his role in developing carbon fibre rods). I would have preferred the picture taken on the day with Walker himself (our equivalent of the iconic one showing Bannister breaking the tape at Iffley Road) but it's still a good thing. I shall carry my licence with pride.
Last edited by Stathamender on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

Perhaps members could be asked to send in photos of themselves fishing on the actual date with a bonus for those wearing a walker style hat!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Martin James wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm Wayne Cryer of Little Egret Press is at work putting together a book commemorating Dick Walker's Centenary on Oak Apple Day 29th May 1918 which I am proud to be helping with, all profits to Crossroad Care, Army Benevolent Fund and British Legion, the plan for the launch date is Redditch Tackle Fair in November 2018
I'm proud to have been asked if I would donate a chapter, of which I did within days.

Return to “Dick Walker”