Dick walkers personal bests

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Benno
Gudgeon

Re: Dick walkers personal bests

Post by Benno »

Cheers mate will try find a copy and Im not too bothered about numbers either was just interested in what species he really pursued

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Walker fished widely but did pursue several single-species campaigns on various waters. These include carp (Redmire and else where, early 50s), roach (Beane, late 50s into early 60s), trout (mid to late 60s, Grafham). Whilst his best dace - 1-5-0 - and perch - 4-13-0 - were bigger than the qualifying weights post 1968, at the time of capture, late 1930s and early 50s respectively, they were not records at the respective dates of capture as the dace record was 1-8-5 and the perch record circa 6lbs, and he never claimed a record for either, nor could he due to lack of evidence to support such claims.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

The other thing which needs to be looked at is his captures of big fish of various species were built up when his fishing time was less in % terms than many specimen hunters now put in, I realise Dick had his own business and could fish more perhaps than those on PAYE but he seemed a well rounded chap with his family life and not one to put in long repetitive sessions which seem to have become the norm, and in addition lots of his big fish captures were from waters not far from his home, the internet/grapevine of where to seek the specimens was not around to the same extent then and when you read the 'letters' between Maurice Wiggan and himself it captures the period when holidays were limited and transport to get to waters not taken for granted, bit disjointed this contribution ! but reading from anglers who knew him well he was a kind generous chap with a good sense of humour albeit a questioning nature, so to me his list of specimen fish is a bonus to a life well lived. Tight lines Dave

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

No offence RR but just to put the record straight, although Maurice Wiggin was a 'Passionate Angler' (pun intended as per his book), the letters most read by outsiders were between Maurice Ingham and Dick Walker. An easy slip of the fingers I guess.

Maurice, another grand old name not often used these days. :Hat:

Grinner
Ruffe

Post by Grinner »

An interesting point is raised about putting historic records in context for the capture at the time, and for the present day. It set me thinking, just in a light-hearted spirit without serious maths I add, that it seems a 'Fish Indexing Numeric' or the application of 'Fish Inflation Numeral' would come in handy! Is there such a thing?

If we take the case in hand and start by going back to Albert Buckley's 26 lb. fish which held the record from 1930 to 1951. Consider also that before the war, a carp of 8 lb. made the notable fish list in the Angler's News and that only a couple of dozen fish made the list per year.

So with Buckley's record some 18 years old, I think it may have been June 1938 that Dick wrote in an article in Anglers News 'A Novel Method of Fishing For Carp', and continued to write in the angling press that he believed fish in excess of 50% larger than the current record existed, and detailed how to go about catching them. This was met with ridicule I believe, which abated in 1952 with Clarissa at 44 lb. breaking Buckley's original record by some 70%.

Some other records that lasted for many years:
Wyatt's 21 lb. 10 oz. to Buckley's 26 lb. approx 20% gain, held for 21 years.
Buckley's 26 lb. to Clarissa 44 lb. approx 70% gain, held for 28 years.
Clarissa 44 lb. to The Bishop 51 lb. 8 0z. approx. 17% gain, held for 16 years.
The Bishop 51 lb. 8 0z. to Two Tone 67 lb. approx. 32% gain, 2008 to date.

So if the current record was broken by the same margin Dick had, you'd have a fish of 115 lb.

I appreciate it is far more complex than this, but went through the exercise as a bit of fun and thought I'd share.
:)

A chart was also made along the way:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It's funny isn't it, you think, 'it will never happen' (the 115lb carp) but they're growing to that size (nearly) on the continent and what with a spot of global warming and genetic engineering? Perish the thought!

I bet they would have said the same about a forty four pounder as being impossible in the 1930's

Interesting post Grinner!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Grinner

Don't forget Bob Richards fish of 31.04 October 1951

Mike

Grinner
Ruffe

Post by Grinner »

I hadn't forgotten Bob's fish, but was looking at what was the record at the time of writing and the factor it was broken by, plus a consideration for how long a record was held.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Shaun Harrison wrote:No offence RR but just to put the record straight, although Maurice Wiggin was a 'Passionate Angler' (pun intended as per his book), the letters most read by outsiders were between Maurice Ingham and Dick Walker. An easy slip of the fingers I guess.

Maurice, another grand old name not often used these days. :Hat:

Thanks Shaun, your correct my brain not in tune with my fingers ! when mentioning the right Maurice, MW a very good writer and a pleasure to read. Tight lines Dave

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I thought Walker called the 44lb carp he caught Ravioli, and I read in one of his books that he didn't actually like the name Clarissa that the London Zoo re-christened the fish. Out of respect for Walker I think we should keep to his original name. Not that I actually agree with the naming of fish, no matter how significant!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Dick Walker”