The Richard Walker Reels

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Huttojon
Minnow

Re: The Richard Walker Reels

Post by Huttojon »

The reel was listed in "vintage" but described as a "fly reel" .I spotted it and convinced myself that it was a Walker made reel.The trouble was that I couldn't understand how such an item could be "under the radar" and very successfully then convinced myself that it was a reproduction and as I have a 5inch reel that is drilled out in the same way I did not bid again,the next bidder won the reel.I will carry the bruises for life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grinner
Ruffe

Post by Grinner »

Beresford wrote:I'm amazed none of us saw it on ebay, or perhaps we did and discounted it for whatever reason.

I scan read the AT article and became confused, not over this reel but the MkIV carp rod that caught Walker's 44. The article stated (assuming I read it correctly) that the rod that landed the record fish now belongs to Chris Stanford. I thought the MkIV rod used is owned by Chris Ball and has been in his safe keeping for many years.
Yes I thought so too.

Grinner
Ruffe

Post by Grinner »

Nobby wrote:That was beautifully written, Robert! Carefully considered, persuasive and thorough....you're not a lawyer are you? :Wink:

Just one query, if I may? In Para. 5 you state that the brake on the BB reel is absent on the Thorndike reel.

I had thought the Thorndike reel did have a brake and a drum for it to act upon, but in the new image you use I see it is not a drum but probably a strengthening ridge. If that is the case what is the object I thought a brake pad on the check operating arm....a lubricating felt pad, perhaps?

Once again, very well written...I look forward to seeing the reel at Redditch.

I hadn't realised the reel had been purchased from an online auction site :shocked: .....don't tell me it was under our very noses for 9 days and none of us spotted it? If that is the case John has done very well indeed! :doh:
Hi Nobby, glad you liked it. I've just tried to piece all the information I could gather on the subject, most of which came from these very forums - hence the credits and thanks! That's an interesting question you raise - another to add to the mystery, and one I can't answer!

I spoke to the current MD of Lloyds of Letchworth with the hope of tracking down anyone who may have some recollections of the reels being made, but unfortunately drew a blank. Pretty much all of the old machinery has also since gone, except for one old lathe that 'may' have been used.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Mk IV No 1

Post by Chris Ball »

After many years as the keeper of MkIV No 1, the ‘Clarissa’ rod made by Richard Walker in the winter of 1950 and used to land the 44lb record carp I have passed the rod over (sold) to my long-time friend Chris Sandford. I make this clear as there have been some general discussion about the sale of the rod in vintage tackle circles. I still retain the MkIII built by Richard in the winter of 1949 which he used a great deal throughout the 1950s and early 1960s, and amongst the many fish caught on it perhaps the 31¼lb (34lb) common from Redmire in June 1954 is the most famous - it was the second largest carp recorded on rod and line at the time.

Paul D

Re: Mk IV No 1

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for that Chris, while your "on" would you care to give your opinion on the long running rumour that Walker infact used a later rod to catch the 44 but kept the fact hidden in order to keep sales of mkiv's going.
Read a snippet years ago about it somewhere. :Hat:

Chris Ball
Bleak

Re: Mk IV No 1

Post by Chris Ball »

Paul D wrote:Thanks for that Chris, while your "on" would you care to give your opinion on the long running rumour that Walker infact used a later rod to catch the 44 but kept the fact hidden in order to keep sales of mkiv's going.
Read a snippet years ago about it somewhere. :Hat:
I can state with some certainty that Dick did not use a later updated version of MkIV No1 (perhaps a MkV) when he landed the record 44lb carp in September 1952. He did built another MkIV for himself in June 1951 - at the same time as he built the ‘BB’ rod - these two rods; MkIV No 1 and his second MkIV along with the MkIII were his mainstay rods when he fished Redmire during 1952.
Also in use were several prototype MkIV’s supplied by Jim Bruce of B. James & Son that Dick and Peter Thomas tried prior to the commercial version being released in October 1952. Neither of the two big carp that Pete and Dick caught at Redmire in 1952 were caught on these. The provenance of MkIV No 1 and associated documentation including a hand-written account by RW of the development of the rod and its capture of the record 44-pounder are watertight. Hope this answers your question.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's cleared that one up then, thanks Chris :Hat:

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,
When re-reading the 2nd edition of Dick Walker's classic, "Still Water Angling", noticed that these two large carp fishing reels were made in 1947. Here's the quote as copied by me:

Regards,

Len.

Return to “Dick Walker”