Upper Witham - Grantham AA

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Upper Witham - Grantham AA

Post by Rutland Rod »

Despite being a member I’ve never fished or even had a look at some of the GAA stretches just off the A1 so decided not to try fishing in these hot conditions but to have a look. Good news in that despite the drought their was a good flow with some clean gravels, the banks were very overgrown with little sign of anyone having pushed their way to the water, and even better in one spot there was a group of about 10 Chub, nothing big but all around the 2/3lb mark, then on another stretch under a bridge in the shade were masses of small Chub / Roach with a few Perch up to about 10’’
So come the late autumn will have a go.
Tight lines Dave

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Re: Upper Witham - Grantham AA

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

The Upper Witham is ab absolute gem of a water. We used to refer to it as "Lincolnshire's best-kept secret" when I fished it last, about 20 years ago, and I have no reason to think it has changed. There is no industry along it south of Grantham, it is fed by chalk springs and always was under-fished. You are right about the Chub in there and there are Trout and occasional Grayling, too. Freelining is the best technique, at least that's what I found.
Do check the rules, though, before fishing. A good part of the river upstream and downstream of Grantham was fly-only and you needed to be a member of GAFFS, the Grantham Angling Association Fly Fishing Section, who won an award from the Wild Trout Trust for the wonderful conservation work they did on the Barkston stretch.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:34 am The Upper Witham is ab absolute gem of a water. We used to refer to it as "Lincolnshire's best-kept secret" when I fished it last, about 20 years ago, and I have no reason to think it has changed. There is no industry along it south of Grantham, it is fed by chalk springs and always was under-fished. You are right about the Chub in there and there are Trout and occasional Grayling, too. Freelining is the best technique, at least that's what I found.
Do check the rules, though, before fishing. A good part of the river upstream and downstream of Grantham was fly-only and you needed to be a member of GAFFS, the Grantham Angling Association Fly Fishing Section, who won an award from the Wild Trout Trust for the wonderful conservation work they did on the Barkston stretch.

Troutbeck :Hat:
I'm a member of the fly fishing section as well but have not fished the fly on the Witham but we also have a stretch of the Chater and the Welland into which the Chater enters from which I've had a few small wild brownies from, it's a really well run club and as you say does lots of habitat improvement, there's been a few pollution incidents since your time one which was caused by a farmer letting chemicals fall off I think a trailer, killed most fish from above Colsterworth almost downstream to Grantham, he was fined 15k and the river is slowly recovering.
Tight lines Dave

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Try this:
http://aterforum.co.uk/index.php/item/2 ... eport-2017

Last year's fisheries report
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Hovis wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm Try this:
http://aterforum.co.uk/index.php/item/2 ... eport-2017

Last year's fisheries report
Thanks Hovis,
A mixed bag.....my stretches are in the 'good' but some others paint a sad picture
Dave

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

If you are on about the stretch I think you are it is my favourite stretch of the Witham , very underfished , I spend many an hour down there
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Richard Jackson wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:52 pm If you are on about the stretch I think you are it is my favourite stretch of the Witham , very underfished , I spend many an hour down there
It's the stretch's near Marston and Westborough, the odd sign of someone pushing a small hole in the reeds but as you say lightly fished, Def one for the autumn onwards.

Return to “Other Rivers”