Microplastic pollution in rivers

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Stathamender
Tench

Microplastic pollution in rivers

Post by Stathamender »

Some you may have read or heard today about the study about this, with a conclusion that this is likely to be the main source of microplastic contamination in oceans through flooding. Here's a link to the press release from the University http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/ne ... oplastics/ which has a summary with a quote from the study leader:
Microplastics in the ocean have recently attracted a lot of attention, but until now science knew little about the major sources of this pollution and the transport processes involved,” said Professor Jamie Woodward, the University’s Head of Geography. “We decided to explore the contamination of urban river beds, as we began to think that they may be the main source of the problem. We are only beginning to understand the extent of the microplastic contamination problem in the world’s rivers. To tackle the problem in the oceans, we have to prevent microplastics entering river channels. We also need to reduce our use of plastics large and small. We welcome the microbead ban introduced by Michael Gove earlier this year, and we hope that improvements in wastewater management will be put in place in the future."
The full report isn't available yet free online but here's a link to the summary https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-018-0080-1
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: Microplastic pollution in rivers

Post by AllRounder »

Slightly off topic but I have just returned from a holiday in Cape Verde off the west coast of Africa where we spent an hour or so up to our waists in the ocean observing juvenile Nurse sharks that came to within about 20 feet of us. The amount of plastic litter that surrounded the area was unbelievable. The marine biologist that was overseeing the trip confirmed that as fast as they could collect it more arrived on the prevailing winds. It was extremely sad to witness the amount of litter on an otherwise unspoilt area.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, but what exactly is Microplastic?

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Microplastics is a term to refer to plastics generally under 1mm. Typically this come from the cosmetic industry and are added to products to give an abrasive effect. Think face scrub or tooth paste. What people don't realise is that ALL plastics can become 'micro' as they break down into smaller and smaller prices. Often the term is use to only refer to our oceans but there is a growing understanding about our river systems that are acting as a vector to help transport this material. Then there is the plastic the comes from STW that gets spread to land. You can read more if you like but I'd advise against it.....highly depressing.
Last edited by Hovis on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks Hovis :Hat:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Crucian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm Thanks for bringing this to our attention, but what exactly is Microplastic?
Here's some more from Popular Science: https://www.popsci.com/what-are-microbe ... ey-illegal.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

You’ve only got to see the state of our road sides and countryside in general to see that the general public really don’t give a damn about litter. I collect a couple of sack fulls every coupe of weeks on the lanes bordering the farm and the cottage and every time I do it, I have very unkind thoughts in my mind about what I’d like to do to the people who think it’s ok to chuck stuff out of their vehicle....a damned good thrashing springs to mind often!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm You’ve only got to see the state of our road sides and countryside in general to see that the general public really don’t give a damn about litter. I collect a couple of sack fulls every coupe of weeks on the lanes bordering the farm and the cottage and every time I do it, I have very unkind thoughts in my mind about what I’d like to do to the people who think it’s ok to chuck stuff out of their vehicle....a damned good thrashing springs to mind often!
I just knew you would recommend a thrashing!! :laugh: seriously though I totally agree, some people have no respect for there environment, litter along with spitting and folk not clearing up after there dogs make my already hot blood boil....

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

the other day I watch 2 kids (about 10 or so) come out of the local shop excited with their haul of sweets, they walked on dropping the wrappers as they scoffed, the parents don't care so there is no hope for the future :Hair out:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

......just don't mention doggy bag's left hanging from bushes and trees...... in very well to do neighbourhoods!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Other Rivers”