River Aire in Leeds City Centre

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Tengisgol
Barbel

River Aire in Leeds City Centre

Post by Tengisgol »

I regularly pass over the river on foot, immediately downstream of the rail station, stopping on the bridge for a look, as you do.

I’ll even risk being a bit late for a meeting, again, as you do!

Yesterday for the first time I spotted a young angler, heading to his favourite spot right below the station weir slip, and he volunteered it was a good spot for a few barbel. It occurred to me how wonderful the paradox would be to sit there with my cane rod and centre pin, on a summers evening, with the urban backdrop of hustle, bustle, bars and groovy hotels.

Does anyone know anything of the fishing?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: River Aire in Leeds City Centre

Post by Penninelad »

it's a bit like the river Don that runs through Sheffield.Full of fish especially trout and grayling.I caught a 4 1/2 brown trout from the start of the Five Walk.Like the centre of Leeds accessing the river bank is very difficult and over the centuries factories and other buildings have been built right to the rivers edge.
Mark Davies

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Penninelad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm it's a bit like the river Don that runs through Sheffield.Full of fish especially trout and grayling.I caught a 4 1/2 brown trout from the start of the Five Walk.Like the centre of Leeds accessing the river bank is very difficult and over the centuries factories and other buildings have been built right to the rivers edge.
Perfect ledge to fish from here though (albeit I wouldn't do so without my life jacket).

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Last year I visited the Royal Armouries in Leeds city centre, and was amazed to see a couple of Carp Anglers, complete with their " bivvies" bedchairs, cookers and 3 rod pods set up on the footpath at the end of Clarence Dock,in and amongst the pedestrians on the footpath steps and walkway , it seems from speaking with them there are Carp, Pike, Perch and silvers in the mooring areas, and also in the blanked off dock area as well, which is where they were fishing.

Not for me I am afraid, but very bizzarre to see, with the backdrop of city centre flats, offices , taxis, couriers on bycycles etc etc.You would not be out of place at all with your cane and pin.

I took some photos but cant find them anywhere now.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I visit at least once a month from down souf. I figure I can either get the train up and sit in a boring bar for the evening, or alternatively drive up, with some kit in the boot, and do some fishing?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 pm I visit at least once a month from down souf. I figure I can either get the train up and sit in a boring bar for the evening, or alternatively drive up, with some kit in the boot, and do some fishing?
That's a "no brainer"!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Other Rivers”