River Frome (Dorset)

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Bob Brookes
Zander

River Frome (Dorset)

Post by Bob Brookes »

Following unsuccessful forays with my son down south to the Itchen and the Test in search of our first 2lb grayling, we are off again this weekend. We are going to Wareham to fish the River Frome on Saturday and Sunday. It would appear that big grayling are quite 'common', so that will be a test of our angling abilities. Apparently if we tire of hauling 3lb grayling then catching 3lb roach should break the monotony. I am guessing that the real prospects will fall short of the tackle shop talk!

Any tips and advice about the river and our chosen quarry would be most welcome! :secret:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: River Frome (Dorset)

Post by Richard C »

Bob, I usually fish the Frome not too far from Wareham every winter quite successfully. The Frome has some stonking Grayling and I'm sure a 2lb+ fish would be possible certainly. (Mr Burr will testify)

Ideally the river wants to be between 1.25 and 1.75 deep and holding some colour to it. Feed loose maggots frugally as they can and will stop feeding and you will only be bothered by O.S.B's (out of season Brownies). But by feeding little and often you can get some good quantities of fish.
If there is a good colour and the river is up above 1.75 metres then probing those slack/back eddies might locate some larger more singular fish. If this is the case then a single grain of corn can produce those larger ladies you are after.
If unsuccessful then please feel free to drop me a p.m and I'll see whether I can sort something out for next season.

Go quietly and ignore the monkeys laughing in the distance. The Royal Artillery will soon put pay to their scoffing! :Wink:

Edit: The levels for the weekend look to be ideal. Rain forecast tomorrow which will add the required colour. Looks like a p.b could be on the cards!
Last edited by Richard C on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too am able to fish an exclusive section of the Frome where a 4lb+ fish was caught about 1/2 mile upstream of our boundary.

Grayling being cyclic vary in size and numbers each year between good'uns and abysmal. So make the most of them whilst they are there!

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bob Brookes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am Following unsuccessful forays with my son down south to the Itchen and the Test in search of our first 2lb grayling, we are off again this weekend. We are going to Wareham to fish the River Frome on Saturday and Sunday. It would appear that big grayling are quite 'common', so that will be a test of our angling abilities. Apparently if we tire of hauling 3lb grayling then catching 3lb roach should break the monotony. I am guessing that the real prospects will fall short of the tackle shop talk!

Any tips and advice about the river and our chosen quarry would be most welcome! :secret:
I'd echo keeping the loose maggots down to very small amounts, the trout will zero in on them and it's rare to do well with graying once trout are in the swim. I've caught using small gilt-tail worms if you can get some, nick them once though the 'non gilt end'. Fish a little off the bottom and you might even try a dropper link with a size 14 'pink shrimp' higher in the water. Some days that will take more fish that a worm or maggot.

Take some sliced white bread - if nothing else works try a few torts with bread, grayling will take it and you might get a bonus roach/dace.

If you are able to, move swims. By now the grayling are shoaled up for the most part and if you're not catching for 20-30 minutes, move. If you find a shoal you can make a good bag.

If you're planning to fish the quay in Wareham itself, give Deano a call in Purbeck Angling (01929 550770) and find out what the tide times are and ask his advice on the best time to fish for coarse fish off the quay. You can arrange bait with him as well.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Thanks to all for some fantastic tips. I can now add a little to what I wrote in my first post. I have just booked our Saturday night accommodation at Anglebury House. My son has arranged winter membership with Wareham & District and we will be at the tackle shop when the doors open on Saturday to collect our bait and have a chat.

It is good to know that the conditions should spot on with tomorrow's forecast rain. Let us hope that I am good enough to make the most of what is on offer. The suggestions of ideal depth to fish and minimal feeding will be borne in mid throughout our trip.

I will keep you guys posted.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bob,

Everyone and their dog fishes Holmebridge near the bridge as it's easy to access.

Getting downstream of Holme Bridge, past the trees on the right bank is a good idea as the water down there is a lot less fished (as it were). It's easier to walk across the field to do this - there's no clear path through the trees all the way down. It's dry this year, but the meadows down there are often soggy, wellies or waterproof boots of some kind. The wind fairly whistles across the meadows, so wrap up warm!

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I would add that its worth taking some sweetcorn as it can work well at times.I often wash mine so the reel doesnt get sticky and carry it in a couple of sealable bags for easy access from a pocket or bait bag (which i have lost at the moment unfortunately).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That's it then Bob - a three pounder is a guaranteed. :Sarcasm: I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Good luck mate - but remember, we all set off full of enthusiasm and confidence. Although, knowing you those four pounders had better watch out.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:47 pm That's it then Bob - a three pounder is a guaranteed. :Sarcasm: I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Good luck mate - but remember, we all set off full of enthusiasm and confidence. Although, knowing you those four pounders had better watch out.
Dave,
The target is, and always was, a 2lb'er. That said, one can dream! :Hahaha:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

What a disappointment!

We drove down the 222 miles and were outside Purbeck Angling at 8.15. Deano was full of helpful information and we fishing before 10am. Stuart joined the Wareham & District Angling Club and I purchase 2 guest tickets. We bought out maggots and sundry tackle from him to support the local business.
IMG_1313.jpg
I spent all of Saturday trotting with Rapidex and my Andrew Davis Wallis Wizard rod.
IMG_0005 2.jpg
Stuart spent much of the day trotting near the salmon hut.
P1010030.jpg
I fished a lovely glide just downstream
P1010028.JPG
Despite spending much of our time fishing 2 of the best swims we failed to do any good at all. We weren't even bothered by out of season brownies! Other swims were fished, but again without success.

There had been some decent rain the day before, which I think must have washed the salt off the roads that had been spread during the previous 2 weeks of heavy frost. Well that its our excuse. The car had snow on it on Saturday evening when we came out of the Red Lion at Wareham, which turned to heavy rain overnight.

We arrived at the river at daybreak only to find the river the colour of chocolate, bank high and racing through. I would have been excited by this on the Trent fishing for barbel, but not on the Frome after grayling. We cut our losses and headed home through torrential rain. You can't win them all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Rivers”