The Stour Canterbury

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Reedling
Catfish

The Stour Canterbury

Post by Reedling »

Canterbury is such a lovely place, we try to get down there now and again to remind ourselves of that fact and yesterday we took a drive down so my wife could buy herself something nice for her birthday. As we always do when we visit Canterbury, a walk down the river is a must, there is something nice about the sound of running water that just draws you to explore it. The water was very low but virually every area that held a reasonable depth contained fish. We saw many fair sized shoals of Roach, Dace and small Chub but there were also quite a few larger Chub especially in the darker areas tucked away under the tree branches, that shelter the river from prying eyes. We saw three enormous Bream just sitting there high in the water in a slack beside some sluice gates, they looked as if they should be easy to catch but I said to my wife you could dangle their favourite in front of them all day but you just know they wouldn't entertain it. This first picture shows the slack to the left of shot where the Bream were resting...

This second picture shows the river in the heart of Canterbury, I lost count of the people who took the same photo as I as we sat and had lunch by the Theatre...

Finally a picture taken looking up the river towards the city centre, right next to Sainsbury which is just to the left. You would not think such a place existed in a city. There were plenty of larger chub in this stretch and I wish I had a rod with me, but it was Cheryl's day and there will always be another, god willing....

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Stour Canterbury

Post by Mark »

It does look nice.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Nice pictures - is it me or can you see an image of a face on the second picture by the church or theatre is it a sculpture? :tea:

edit; Googled sculptures in Canterbury - silly me :Sarcasm:
niceroach

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I just love that welded metal sculpture NiceRoach and just out of shot to the left is another sculpture,statue of the comedian Dave Lee sitting on a bench out side the Marlowe Theatre and beside the river.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Stunning sections of river. When teleportation (come in boffins) is invented my weekends angling will be so much more diverse.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

I will have to take that walk, my daughter is at Uni in Canterbury so we are down there fairly regularly, might even take a rod... :Thumb:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Both our two went to Christchurch Canterbury Mercman, and we walked the river on a regular basis. These pictures are downstream of the city centre but upstream is just as nice, some lovely looking swims up that way.

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

My daughter is at Christchurch too Reedling, I will take a walk along there next time I am in Canterbury. I have to agree with you it is a lovely town, also some of the coastal towns are nice too. I particularly like Herne Bay, it's like turning the clock back 50 years, largely unspoiled.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That does look a nice stretch, is it a day ticket stretch? :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Fishing in Canterbury city is free of charge Paul D, the pictures I have shown are all free to fish.

Return to “Other Rivers”