Wild Carp

Re: dorset stour

Post by Olly »

Cracking roach there!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Very nice John, some wise words and lovely fish, I mainly fish on my own, but one of my most pleasant sessions this season was in your company :Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Back on the Stour this week and invited the girlfiend along as I had treated her to a membership this season. Fishing a long range home-made cage feeder packed this bread mush she happliy managed three good chub from the club water, 3.4, 4.14, 5.14. My good friend Bill helping her hold the last fish as her hand were shaking, her new P.B and yes you guessed it, I blanked!

He just loves that bonnet

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done, what a lovely chub.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Never mind the chub, what a lovely girlfriend.

(sorry feminism has pasted me by)
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

The Stour chub did not disappoint during this back end of season, and just to be able to access the banks was a bonus when you consider the heavy rain over the last three weeks. Enjoying the company of fellow TFF member Paul Frid at Throop Fisheries was one of the high points in the closing days, talking vintage tackle, swapping cheese pastes and chasing chub, thankfully the river gave up a few of its secrets and we were able to wet our nets.
Being the guardian of my own stretch of the Stour near Wimborne and with two and a quarter miles of meadow and pasture land to wander and now starting to be covered with celandine, I was joined by my friend Richard, one of the clubs Fordingbridge Avon bailiffs and comparing cheese pastes once more!

Conditions were very different with light rain and overcast which cleared to bright sunshine in the afternoon, making us head for the those deep shadowy glides under the near bank trees, which as it turned out produced one of my best chub this season of 6lb 10oz. Changing venue and back to Throop for the Monday with Robin from London, my latest cane convert and the Chapman providing him with a lovely condition fish to flake.

Now with a three months lay off, its time for some float making, fly tying and perhaps sorting out that Peter Stone Ledger strike that I have been meaning to attend to for last three years!

Stour Otter
Last edited by Stour Otter on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Superb chub, cracking fish. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Excellent! Fantastic rod, the Legerstrike. Bobby

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done John, the 6lb 10oz chub is a beauty! Hope to see you at Romsey and have a chat?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Fantastic fish John, you deserve it for being such a great and unselfish guide

Return to “Other Rivers”