Wing mansion.

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
WindJammer

Wing mansion.

Post by WindJammer »

Many years ago a few of us used to fish a heavily reeded lake in the grounds of a huge mansion near the village of Wing, in Buckinghamshire. The manor was rumoured to be part of the Rothschilds estate and the fish were 'wildie' types. The lake was gradually being taken over by reedmace and the carp didn't often venture from out of its shelter.
I would wade out and flick a matchbox peice of crust into an open area set back amidst the reeds,pay out the line as I walked back to the bank and then sit on a rise and watch a fish take the bait with confidence. They were all small fish of around 2,3,4 lb mark though we never weighed them then.
Anyone else know of it?

Julian
Salmon

Re: Wing mansion.

Post by Julian »

Wing is fairly local to me.

Are you referring to Ascott House on the edge of Wing which is a National Trust property - there is a small ( half-acre) old lake in its grounds with carp in it.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I have fished this lake (overnight) a long time ago and indeed once fell in it. Locally known as Park pond. It held some wonderful wildies and crucians. It is on the private Rothschild estate, near Ascott House as Julian says. A blind eye was given to 'locals'. The last time I saw it, it was entirely choked with reedmace and looked to be in a sorry state. I haven't been there for nearly twenty years. I'd guess that it's occupants are no longer there, but I might venture and have a look sometime.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

That's the one gentlemen, I did a google earth shot but the pool I found was surrounded by trees, the pool we fished was in a dip and surrounded by grassland.
Got to be worth a look, as long as there's some depth and a bit of space,well, who knows?

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Listed as 'Garden Pond' on google maps...Looks VERY overgrown or even dry. I will investigate further. :Wink:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I was actually referring to the pool inside the grounds of Ascott House ( close to the road).
Now Gurn has responded I can see where it says 'garden pond' on Google Earth and that does look as though it is probably dry.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”