Fishing on the Isle of Wight

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Lagoonrich

Fishing on the Isle of Wight

Post by Lagoonrich »

I haven't done any research on this yet myself, but don't suppose anyone knows any nice places to fish on the Isle of Wight?

I'm guessing that most lakes will be busy and that there will not be many rivers/streams.

The sea?

Gurn
Chub

Re: Fishing on the Isle of Wight

Post by Gurn »

Rookley Park is perhaps the best fishery on the Isle of Wight, probably busy though...
http://fishcaptures.com/index.php?page= ... ting_ID=27

Lagoonrich

Post by Lagoonrich »

Thanks for the tip.

It looks like there are a few options:
http://www.go-fish.co.uk/isleofwight.htm

Wickerman

Post by Wickerman »

Rookley park holds some very nice carp.It has two pools ,one with smaller stuff and the other is a carp fishery with some lumps in,there is the river medina I think this holds the odd carp as well apparently but never fished that myself so cant comment.
There are plenty of options for sea fishing as well.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Look to the sea!
Freshwater style fishing from the shore with carp gear for mullet, bass, pollock, mackerel, garfish, etc or even a boat trip to the Needles for shark.
Have you looked here http://www.wightfishing.co.uk/home/
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Lagoonrich

Post by Lagoonrich »

Thanks guys.

I'll start a thread on this freshwater-style fishing in the sea marlarky elsewhere on the forum...

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

lagoonrich wrote:TI'll start a thread on this freshwater-style fishing in the sea marlarky elsewhere on the forum...
Yes it is great stuff. I go to a tiny channel island every summer and use an old glass Shakespeare alpha carp rod (bought from Jon Berry in 1980!) to fish off the rocks for all of the previously mentioned species and not forgetting wrasse which, although not edible are good fun on light tackle. Probably pike tackle would be more suitable though.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Lagoonrich

Post by Lagoonrich »

I realised that I never posted about how I got on with this. Is a year on too late? Maybe. Anyhow, I thought the place I found might be useful for others to know about.

I went to a place called White Oak Fishery (http://www.wightfishing.co.uk/home/inde ... cle&id=186). A nice little farm pond that looks as though it is not fished too much. I caught 10 or so little wild-looking carp on the surface. A fun morning!

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Snape wrote:
lagoonrich wrote:TI'll start a thread on this freshwater-style fishing in the sea marlarky elsewhere on the forum...
Yes it is great stuff. I go to a tiny channel island every summer and use an old glass Shakespeare alpha carp rod (bought from Jon Berry in 1980!) to fish off the rocks for all of the previously mentioned species and not forgetting wrasse which, although not edible are good fun on light tackle. Probably pike tackle would be more suitable though.
Actually wrasse are lovely to eat, firm flakes of flesh, really good for fish pies and curries. I find it strange that lots of people round here tell me you can't eat them and I live right in the middle of "wrasse country". The big shame is that the commercial fishermen here consider them only fit for lobster pot bait so lots of undersized fish get caught for that with the result that they are very much in decline. I tend only to take the occasional one these days.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I understood that wrasse retain toxins in some areas of the coast and are considered dangerous to eat - or is that an Old Wive's Tale? Either way, they are beautiful fish that fight hard and, although I've not fished for them in ages, would always be put back.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”