Letton Oxbow lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Troydog
Tench

Letton Oxbow lake

Post by Troydog »

Some many years ago, but I cannot find out when, the river Wye was stemmed at one point and then further blocked some two hundred yards downstream. This created a wonderful Oxbow lake at Letton that has remained untouched for years. The elderly owner of the Letton Estate lived there for perhaps fifty years and took no interest in either the lake or the three Wye river beats that were part of the estate. Some years ago a fishing syndicate was created of which I was a member for 10 years until the estate was sold a couple of years ago. The new owner is Paul Titcombe and he seems keen to retain the original format and atmosphere surrounding the Oxbow.

The lake benefits from the occasional massive Wye flood that overwhelms the banks and presumably stocks the lake with various species of river fish. The resident fish include carp, tench and bream and these appear to be impervious to flooding but it doesn't make them any easier to catch!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Letton Oxbow lake

Post by Snape »

I have looked at that oxbow lake for years on Google maps with longing eyes.
I would love to fish it some time.
Are you suggesting that the new owner does not want fishing there?

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The Oxbow is a bit of a heart breaker Snape. It has tench to over 10lbs, big bream, roach, perch and pike as well as a few carp that have either found their own way in or have been put there when caught in the river. Despite it's ample stocks and specimen fish it's a very hard water to crack. I've had tench to over 6lbs (a long time ago) but apart from getting umpteen bream turning over my bait, have yet to catch one... or any other specimens of any species.

I have often wondered about dedicating a season to it but there was always a no night fishing rule which would cramp my style as I reckon a long session with regular feed would be the way to go.

There was a syndicate in place but when the house was sold that was disbanded. It's now £15 a day for the river and the Oxbow - not sure if it's the same ticket. https://www.fishingpassport.co.uk/fishi ... ettonoxbow

Some big pike and carp have lived in both the lake and river from time to time and not through natural movement :roll: But when the Wye comes up it does flow into the Oxbow. I've watched the cold river water spread around the bow and stop all the small fish that were rising, in their tracks. Like I say, a beautiful lake that's challenging and then some.

Troydog - How did you fare? Did you ever feel you'd cracked it?

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Ha! ha!- thanks for this Dave - just about sums it up Snape. Sorry to be so long in replying to you Snape but I haven't yet found out how to track the posts I make so that I can reply to people. I've done something on 'email notification options' tonite so I might get better. The Oxbow? Well if I tell you the truth, you may not believe me. My fishing diary says I have fished it on 125 occasions and I have caught 106 fish. By fish, I mean bream to 7.5lb or tench to 6.5 lbs.

The Oxbow is one of the most beautiful places you could ever fish. You are often lost, alone, with the lake to explore; you see red kites, buzzards, otters, grebe and kingfishers all day long. You are in paradise and you choose three swims to bait with hemp and corn; you decide to fish them in rotation. You may see fish topping , you will certainly see bubbling from whatever source. You fish two rods, one on the Optonic (I know!!) and the other a float on the lift method. All that reading fishing books and articles, all those 60 years of fishing experience, all the great anglers you have met, surely all this will lead to a bream or a tench bonanza tonight ??

And then finally, as you pack the kit in the car and drive up past Letton Court, with a landing net that is as dry as when you arrived, you realise that you have had a fabulous days fishing. Its another blank.

Footnote: my 106 fish came in about 20 sessions, so the other 85 are as described above!
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

New owner Paul Titcombe welcomes day ticket people. Let me know when you fancy it Snape and I'm sure that either Dave or myself can be around. I've got some work in Kington next week, in the morning so I'll have an afternoon evening session on the way back to Hereford.
Best wishes,
Tim (Troydog)
John Harding

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I've spent a little time snooping around there, it is a glorious place. I have some fabulous photos somewhere, I will see if I can find them.

I have also seen a few carp on the shallows in the river very nearby...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I fished this place once a long time ago. If memory serves me right I blanked. (Not an unusual experience)

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”