WITLEY PARK

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

WITLEY PARK

Post by Bobthefloat »

Did anyone ever get to fish the majestic and beautiful Witley park?. Chris yates has written a little about the place. I was lucky enough to fish there four times as a young teenager.
None of my family were into fishing which meant my fishing was locally restricted.

Then one day my mother contacted a local fishing club the Wimbledon Broadway angling club and they agreed to pick me up and take me somewhere different every Sunday and drop me home again. It was a match fishing club who fished between themselves all season with a leauge system and various trophies to be had at the end of the year.

I owe so much to those old boys for taking me under their wing guiding me and helping me along the way.
On our calander every year was Witley park I remember the first time I saw the place I thought I was in heaven it was more like a big ornamental garden with beautiful statues and well kept lawns. I remember the fishing being that good I had to reel in to eat my packed lunch.

Wonderful crucians and beautiful carp filled my keep net and me as a young novice could even manage 50lb in a day. The winning weight was always 100lb+and always taken from the pads swim at the far end of the lake. It wasn't until the 3rd trip to witley park that I found out that there was more than one lake. We always fished the small lake next to the car park.

One season my friend Tony joined the club his dad was a member( Len a lovely bloke) Tony wanted to have a crafty cigarette so he suggested we have a walk. So off we went up the path and after a couple of minutes we saw this huge lake with a structure in the middle our jaws hit the flaw we could see huge carp cruising everywhere it's a sight I will never forget.

As we walked up and round the left hand bank we noticed and iron gate that was open and a staircase that led down underneath the lake we couldn't believe our eyes.
Tony dared me to go down so I did and when I got to the bottom there was a tunnel and it led to the structure in the middle of the lake I'm sad to say I didn't venture to the end of the tunnel as I lost my bottle and didn't think it was safe.

It wasn't until recently after researching the place that I found out about the under water room and the whole history of the place which used to be called Lea valley park and all this was the work of the very eccentric Mr Whitaker wright. If you look hard enough online there are some pictures of the room and the whole story behind it.

Unfortunately the place is a complete shut shop as far as I know it's now a private family home and the owner is understandably not very happy with people jumping over his wall to get a look at the place. The entrance to the room land and water is now alarmed and visitors are not welcome.

I did hear a rumour alot of the crucians from the small lake was sold on to buryhill fisheries in Dorking by the groundsmen in between ownership. But that big lake is always in the back of my mind the carp have been in there forever. Maybe there is some secret carp syndicate on there or maybe the place has been left completely untouched for years but a place like that doesn't just get forgotten.

I'm sure a few lucky people still wet a line. I just feel lucky to have had the opportunity to see the place first hand because it was to me like heaven on earth and if I never get the opportunity to see the place again I'll always have those memories :fish:
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Trevor
Eel

Re: WHITLEY PARK

Post by Trevor »

Never fished there but it sounds very nice.
It's the place Chris Yates wrote about in The Secret Carp, and which drove Nobby a bit nuts a few months ago.
Some pictures in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18119.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Thanks Trevor it's nice to see some more pictures of the place :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Whitley Park was THE match venue -- if you were in the right swim! If you weren't it could be dreadful - 100lb for the winner and 2lb for you - very disheartening. Such a gamble & my 'at the time' dislike of match fishing - I never went! The club I belonged to at the time went at often as they could.

My 1st M-i Law was a fiancee of Gerald Bentall at one time. Oh - it could have been mine!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

The one that got away :fishing1:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: WITLEY PARK

Post by Bobthefloat »

Witley park hasn't left my mind since I was a child and today I found out some interesting information regarding this magnificent and magical place.

I was working on a property somewhere deep in the Surrey Hills and got talking to a builder who works for a company who have recently restored the entire estate
Mansion house, gate houses and even the tunnel and underwater room on the middle lake!
A £200,000,000 project no less.

The estate is owned by non other than the Smirnoff company and is a family home.
Everyone working there had to sign a certificate of discretion of some sort regarding the works.
So pictures of the restoration are hard to come by and obviously impossible for the guy to show me any pictures.

The place is now guarded by ex military and a hop over the wall could land you in a very uncomfortable situation indeed.

The previous owner so I'm told was extremely fed up and well within his rights to be worried about trespassing visitor's. Unfortunately he shot one one of them and is now serving some time at her majesty's pleasure ( again so I was told!)

The whole place has been brought back to its former glory ( obviously not talking about the original mansion house which burnt down) when it was known as Lea Park

I now know I'll never see the place again but it is a nice feeling to know its being well looked after and cherished just a shame its not in English hands!

:Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I fished it half a dozen times in the late 70s/early 80s and it was truly magnificent, and I wrote about it in Crucian Renaissance. I returned 10 years after the Great Storm of 87 and it had been devastated with thousands of the magnificent trees downed. By then the fishing had deteriorated as many of the crucians had been removed. I did OK in matches; a 1st, two 2nds, a 4th and four also-ran double-figure catches.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fatty fished a few matches on the small pond and the big lake with the structure. Under the auspices of Godalming Angling Society.

Third was the best for Fatty...probably could have done better if he had not spent so much time scoffing. The entrance, by the time of the last match there that Fatty went to, the water ballroom was chained and padlocked, as too many had gone in just for a look-see, annoying the owners.

This would have been about 1971/72. If memory serves.

As for the antics of our esteemed Hon. Member, back then he was a very, very naughty boy. Totally unlike the doyen of respectability he purports to be.
However, reports from certain quarters maintain that should one scratch the surface of respectability there still emerges, like a butterfly, the naughty boy within.....Fatty could not possibly comment further!

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”