Salamander. Kernow..

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Wandle1
Grayling

Salamander. Kernow..

Post by Wandle1 »

Deep in Cornish clay country is the famous Salamander lake ..The small pool once held some of the most illusive ,and not to mention biggest carp in the west country ...

It`s still there and has carp in it......This pool was made famous by non other than Ken Townley who to this day lives very close to the pool...

I was passing recently and stopped off for a looksee ...

has anyone on here ever seen or fished it.....it`s part of the history of the Cornish scene...

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Salamander. Kernow..

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes I visited Salamander many times to meet up with my old mate Nige Brittan or at Rashleigh during the nineties, I did pop down for a gander at both last April having just dropped off one of my son's at Falmouth Uni. I understand from a few friends who are local that quite a few of the carp went on "holiday" to a syndicate lake.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

I know Nigel and have fished wheal Rashleigh .....also back in the 90s....shame what happened to the Rashleigh though....

Your correct of course about the `little holiday`the famous inhabitants of Salamander went on....

Treskilling is benefiting from the `Embryo` project funded by Danny Fairbrass...

i went to college in St Austell and spent many an afternoon looking at `duckpond` and seeing these huge logs cruising around...

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Yes the story of Rashleigh is quite heartbreaking, first the otters then the diggers, still nature will recover and I'm sure as we get older the landscaping works around WR and Waldron will be of benefit to old bones. If you fished there in the nineties our paths probably crossed and you no doubt know the enigmatic Foxy and Stevie Churchill, oh what fun we had, but trying to keep up with those boys In the Bridges at Luxallyan was well out of my league.....Hicks HSD......oh deary deary me! :Chuckle: :surrender:

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Yes I remember both of those gentlemen...

There was one particular fish in those times I wanted to catch...it was called 'Busted Tail',today things like this is not what I'm about,anyway.....

One night I'm in the long chuck swim dreaming of this aforementioned mirror..and I get a run after carefully playing this fish on my 11ft 2lb tc rods I lean over and with the failing light on my head torch I can indeed see it is the famous carp I joined to catch,and so as I was just going to gently slide the great fish over my net this voice said 'ah ha you'm have Busted Tail,proper job'. at that point the fish 'fell off'....lol

I read Rejuvenation at Rashleigh by Ken and that's what inspired me to join...

Ps...foxy lived next door to my mother in law..

SmilerSmith

Post by SmilerSmith »

I live just around the corner from Charlestown. Where is Salamander lake please ?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

It's at Par just down the road from St Blazey on the right hand side of the road leading into Par

SmilerSmith

Post by SmilerSmith »

Can you still fish there ?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Last time I visited friends in Cornwall in April 2015 there were people fishing it....

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Its just past St Andrews rd garage..

People still fish it...Bird hell though,plus a good dose of stupid questions from all and sundry..

You can read more about the Miracle lake,on the Cornish years with Gerry Savage and Chris Bannister...

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”