Blickling Lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Blickling Lake

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, Any info on this lovely Norfolk National Trust lake. I had a walk around on Friday and there were a few chaps fishing most ledgering with a pair of rods, the friendly chap I spoke too said that Bream were the main species and although double figure fish were few and far between there were still lots around the 5lb mark and bags of up to 30 fish was not uncommon, Tench were not prolific but there were plenty of small/medium Roach, there was a small head of very large Carp and the Pike fishing could be very good. It seems that Otters had caused problems in the last few years but had now departed.....? Tight lines Dave

Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Blickling Lake

Post by Aquaerial »

I've never fished it for Pike Dave but if you fancy a day out after 1st October let me know and I'll have a go with you. Its a beautiful setting that is for sure and some good pubs around!
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Will take you up on the offer and pm you, the only Norfolk beer I have tried is 'Woodford Wherry' if I've got the name right, very nice !
Tight lines Dave

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

blickling lake ................well that takes me back a few years,i fished it a few times up at the wall end for best results I found using a method feader on maggot or worm and cast out into the middle for the BIG bream that reside there don't know about now as I herd it was ottered,i know onetime I was there an angler 2 swims up from me hooked and landed and dustbin lid well into double figures,he weighed it ,I cant remember if it was 13 or 15lb but it was biggest bream I had ever seen.
the pike in there were quite big as onetime an incident with a angler and a pike made the local rag ,I think it was the Eastern Daily Press (the EDP) anyway the story went on to say that while the angler was returning a fish and big pike cane out from the margins and had attacked the anglers hand ,I think there was a picture of the angler with his hand all bandaged up,must of hurt like hell :Scared: that was in the 90's and apparently its happened a few more times since then ,a man eating pike :Scared:
anyway I hope this helps a little :Hat:

p.s just done a quick bit of research ,it looks like it was hit hard in 2011 buy otters and looks like the carp were hit the hardest as with the big tench that were in there,but it looks like other specie's like the bream ,perch ,pike etc weren't to bad .
Last edited by Danny Boy on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Another place I've always fancied fishing

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

GazTheAngler wrote:Another place I've always fancied fishing
Do it then Gaz, I'm up for it.
We will have to take our chances on barometric pressure and get on with it.
One thing is certain we won't be short of thick 'ol sticks to chuck bait about with.
They may be a bit rough but are still up to the job.

Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

The first visit of the caravan season saw me buying the North Norfolk Times in it this piece.....The National Trust have installed 3 miles of pipe under the lakes surface, a heat pump pushes glycol through the pipes which absorbs heat from the water. This scheme will save the estate 30k pa on heating costs and reduce carbon emissions by 69 tons a year. These are the only details will be interesting if it catches on !!!! where next ?

On a different tack the same paper reports on the Norfolk & Suffolk fishing industry post brexit, it quotes the UKIP fishing spokesman aptly named Mike Hookem !
Tight lines Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

This season with the wife and terrier I’ve walked around the lake at least once a week, even on a weekend there’s very few anglers, the chaps I speak too are mainly after Bream and one told me he’d had 40 in one session all around the 5lb mark last season plus Tench up to 6lb, and theirs the chance of a large Carp plus a large head of Pike for the winter months, there’s about 12 very well made platforms cut into the reed beds and well in from the public path and a few hundred yards of the dam wall to fish from so why so few ? people fishing on what must be one of the most attractive lakes in the country. A general moan is that although it’s only £6 a day you have to pay the car park unless your a NT member (we are), another chap said it’s only ‘dawn to dusk’ with no night fishing, it seems an absolute bargain to me although I have yet to fish it ! It may not have the quality Tench fishing as in the days when John Wilson / John Bailey used to write about the estate lakes of Norfolk such as Blickling / Felbrigg and the move for the big fish seekers to move on to more productive waters hasn’t helped and the average angler who prefers well (overstocked ) commercials but it’s a lovely place. Incidentally I’ve yet to see any cane or pins !

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

As a local and having fished Blickling since the late sixties I no longer go there myself at all. Yes, the setting is superb but there have been many changes over the years. For me the over riding factor is the fact that it now costs 7 pounds a day plus 5 pounds to park. I tend to only fish shortish sessions and, although there are undoubtably many who can afford this sort of outlay as a pensioner even the reduction to 5 pounds for me plus parking makes it a non starter. The amount of fishable bank has been greatly reduced over the years and of course, with bream now being the dominant species it's mostly feeder fishing at range - hence the lack of cane and 'pins in evidence :Chuckle:
The present rules, although not a problem to me, also deter some although it must be said that some of these were instigated due to the behaviour of some of the carp anglers that frequented the water several years ago.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

There are still some fine Tench to be had here and if the cost of the parking is a no go you can park on the cheeky side - outside the lake car park! there are a couple of spots to rest the car - free of charge. The Tench fishing here is still best early morning - no one around except a dog walker or two and depending on your choice of pitch you will not know they are around - if blissful isolation is your cup of tea early mornings at Blickers is still a good ticket. Cane and pin of course!
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”