A Woodland Pool..........

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Barbulus
Tench

A Woodland Pool..........

Post by Barbulus »

Sadly not much chance to get out onto the banks in recent weeks so a determined effort was necessary to take even just a few hours to rehearse and remember the "Three R's".................Reconnect...........Reflect..........Rebalance..............

A light rucksack that has taunted me for 20 plus years with its awkward zips......straps that never quite seem to be at the right tension....always hiding the items that I need..........pockets disguising their real contents........however......the one rod...a James MKIV that is posssibly a decade past when it should be refurbished properly.......but it's so light and it's so historic and it's so so so very balanced...........I forget the taped together eye repair and the appalling re-whip of the tip ring..........the slightly damaged ferrule...........the ingrained effect of years of abuse that has left a unique patina on the cork handle.....it's mine...I will never sell it....I might have to "retire it" as its done more than enough over the decades.......but it still performs....it's still 10' 2".......the gloss has faded but it's simply the most amazing rod.......a few lobworms....a simple quill............a Mitchell 300.......a more modern one..................but the only one left working now as the others are in various states of non functioning capability in my garage.........a size 10 hook......a couple of AA's.......

...........I managed to get to the lake a few hours before sunset..........
Leneys Old Lake 1.jpg
..no-one there............all mine.........temporarily at least............a quick look in the shallow bay...... Leneys Old Lake 3.jpg
..water discoloured.........quiet............the Heron under a Willow.........pidgeons flapping in the trees overhead........a Kingfisher with its distinctive flight path and call............a gentle underarm flick that somehow avoids the trailing Willow branches and sends a gentle ripple as the quill settles...........wait now..........wait..............that peculiar state..........wait.........the bubbling starts.......more discoloured water disturbs the calm of the approaching dusk.........a dip...........another..........then a slow but steady movement of the quill............a response needed...........the rod lifted and then.......BANG..........the Mitchell screams as a carp powers toward the nearest snag........line cutting through the water.....caught now on differing "bows" of Old Man Willow.............ping ping.....the line released.......the carp into the open water of the narrow bay.............heading now toward the opposite bank and another sanctaury............ping.....crash.......the reeds shake..........line again...... ....the clutch singing now.................back toward Old Man Willow...........a repeat.............line at angles away from the fish.............more line............the James' "hooped over"............a re-assuring gentle repositioning to help the rod with the strain...............now toward the rushes on my bank............the speed incredible........how did that happen so fast............where is the net........a few final lunges and thrashing the water with that tail...........

...........but........at last mine............temporarily at least............the weight ? Who knows ? Who really cares.........Its a brief time to reflect and enjoy the solitude of nature and a carp lake at dusk........
Leneys Old Lake 4.jpg
.what was it BB said.............".........He is a man of the Summer for the carp is a Summer fish. Carp fishers disappear in Autumn and are not seen until the following midsummer, nobody quite knows where they go. In my case, as soon as the Summer ends, the mania leaves me, and I devote myself to other tasks and hobbies.." I agree in part but it never leaves me..........over 40 years....the same thrill....the same excitement.......the same reflection. The memories might change but the need for balance remains. Leneys Old Lake 2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=3]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: A Woodland Pool..........

Post by Dave Burr »

Lovely lake.... lovely carp.... and tackle..... well done that man!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Very nice. Like the look of that lake
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great report and superb looking lake.
A fine carp on some excellent vintage tackle, well done B. :Hat:

How can you possibly not fish that lake more often ? :holmes:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice indeed.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Well done Barbulus! I have a great advantage of knowing this lake very well indeed and can identify the swims fished! This lake is very special to me not only for the fishing but as the place where I first met Barbulus which was a special day for me.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

That is a very very delightful thing to say there Chris. Thank you. I must say I have missed you there these last several months. I hope to catch up with you here in September; a great time of the year.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Mathew, I hope so too. I have only had two trips fishing since before last Christmas due to various health problems (possibly old age as well, I have turned 75 now). The first, to Flaxlands the local Commercial. The wife felt it was safer due to the number of angler about. I needed to see a float go down so I took the 12ft float rod (carbon I am afraid, though at just over £24 the carbon content was not high) The Speedia, a Peacock quill waggler and maggots. Plan A was to fish on the drop for some of the thousands of small roach. It worked. Plan B was to alter the shotting to try for the bigger fish of the bottom. That worked as well and I started to pick up roach in the 6oz range. After two hours or so I was exhausted so gave the maggots to another angler and went home well pleased with my trip. Second trip was to Leneys. Used the invalid pitch. Bakers small dog beef flavour thrown close to the lilles on the left, the rushes on my right and some at my feet before I tackled up with the Hardy Richard Walker Carp and the ABU 4. Hooked a carp within half an hour which went into the lillies (reactions far to slow), full pressure from the rod and 8lb line got it out, next try was for the rushes, turned it again and back to the lillies it went, too fast for me and I had to pull for a break. I was exhausted by then and just sat there smoking my pipe and drinking coffee while I just enjoyed simply being there. Packed up and headed home well pleased with my short trip.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

That sums it up really Chris when you say......."while I just enjoyed being there." That my friend is exactly the sense. I never cease to be amazed how often I can be the only one there for the last couple of hours of an evening over these years. Peace and reflection and the enjoyment of just being there. Hope to see you there again very soon.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Marvellous
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”