Pools near MIll HIll, North London

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
WindJammer

Pools near MIll HIll, North London

Post by WindJammer »

How do folks, thought I'd put the float out for any information about fishing in this area. I know there's a small club pond in the Whetstone area but can't recall who runs it. I've also read a little about a place called Jacks Lake which is club run but some swims available on a day ticket which sounds ideal for a quick sticky beak session.
Has anyone fished there and give me an idea of what to expect or, better yet reommend a water that fulfils the TFF criteria?
Many thanks for reading,
pip pip!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Pools near MIll HIll, North London

Post by Vole »

Hadley Angling and Preservation Society run Jack's Lake; http://www.haps.org.uk/
Half of the lake is surrounded by golf club and is members only, no night fishing; the other half is in the "common" and is day tickets; night-fishing there is members only. 3' to 3'9" deep in most places, platforms at most swims; check the website for Sunday matches (about one Sunday in four), when the lake is closed. Hordes of small roach and skimmers (yet "too many" pike); perch, tench, crucian variants and too many carp.

The two lakes in Trent park are free, best fished before the first dog-walkers arrive. Hammered by the first mass-influx of BBQ-wielding ex-balkanites, it's on the mend, but not stocked, and a bit of an unknown quantity.

The only lake I know of in Whetstone is surrounded by flats,and even the residents aren't allowed to fish it. If you find another, do tell!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I do know another pond, it's right by the side of the road to Totteridge (Mandalay was too far) and it's a club water, not far from The Orange Tree pub. I don't know who controls the dangling. Trent Park sounds like it's been ruined so that's off the list. Thanks, I'll keep looking as I'm around the area a lot.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I'd forgotten that one! I think the club's contact details are on the signs in the pond. Never tried it myself; too much traffic, too close.
There were a few fish in the pond next to Saint Peter's Church, Mill Hill, but I haven't seen any movement the last few times I've looked.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Anglingbear
Silver Bream

Post by Anglingbear »

But further out but have you tried the lea valley? Several large unspoilt and quiet lakes... Hard fishing though!

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I've heard of the LVP lakes and pits;also Turnford (are they the same?) but I'm more for the small pools just to bend the bamboo on no name fish.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

Apparently it's run by Millridge Angling Club but they're very hush hush on the intraweb, no clues at all apart from a couple of forum posts asking the same question as per my OP.
It's got carp and 2 perch.
2 perch?
There are some very posh mansions there and a permanent police Mitsubish Evo parked nearby, probably have to go through an MI5 security check to gain access.
I found this snippet:
I don't know anyone who fishes it, I'm afraid; but It was mentioned in Fred Bullers book of mammoth pike when it used to be a lot larger a century ago and I think it was Alfred Jardine (or another famous Pike angler of old) who caught some huge pike there. I think there is an old photo in Bullers book.
But it is now a shadow of its old self and it is hard to think that it was such a good water and much larger a century ago.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I think they adhere to the old close season - it may be set in the terms of the lease - but come June 16th you may see a few bods there to ask.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

St Peters church? I can't see it anywhere, can you offer more details? If the road pool is closed for the Close Season I may have a long wait just to find out if I can fish there.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Sorry, Saint Paul's - got me exam centres mixed up; St Peter's is in Arkley. The pond is between the Belmont Children's farm and the Church.
You'd have more chance at Trent Park, I think!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”