The Croxby mysteries

This forum belongs to Croxby Pond.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

The Croxby mysteries

Post by Gary Bills »

I understand that our friend DKM has a fishing acquaintance who has carried out extensive research concerning Croxby? Perhaps some of his findings could be presented on this site? I'm sure the gesture would be much appreciated.
The origin of the carp stock is something of a mystery, for instance. Kevin Clifford tells us that Overbeck claimed to have seen a 25lb common being weighed. It was landed by a vicar - in the 1890s, I believe. Now, if true, that would probably be the largest rod caught UK carp of the nineteenth century: in fact, five pounds heavier than the "record" Andrews fish of 1916, from Cheshunt! Now, this Croxby common, if genuine, could not be a Ford fish, because of its size at the time of capture. Ford only started to trade in early kings during the 1890s. But we return to that nagging mystery - how did such large carp end up swimming in a Victorian/Edwardian water? Overbeck's largest common was 17lbs - again, most likely not a "wildie."
Again the suspicion arises that there must have been nineteenth, even eighteenth century breeders of carp of whom we know nothing.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: The Croxby mysteries

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Indeed FB, our DKM knows his stuff when it comes to Croxby, perhaps, if he is allowed to, he will fill us in on a few stories?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Croxby mysteries

Post by Mark »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Indeed FB, our DKM knows his stuff when it comes to Croxby, perhaps, if he is allowed to, he will fill us in on a few stories?
That would be nice. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Croxby Pond”