What a day

This forum is for discussing grayling.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: What a day

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Hoping for a day like that myself before the season draws to a close.....well done sir :Hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

A magnificent catch - congratulations. Several large ladies followed by (a glass or two of) 'the widow'. A fine day indeed.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

And another good day - I decided against chubbing yesterday as bright ,breezy and cold so it was time for my first trotting trip of the winter for grayling. The cold weather has now slowed down the trout activity and only two little ones caught but eleven grayling on trotted worm including fish of 2-4 and 2-13 . Getting closer and closer to three- wonder if it will happen? Wonderful sport on a centre pin but yet again I do wonder at the advice sometimes given that one should use really light gear for grayling - such as 2lb line etc. I use Reflo 5-14 and am not at all overgunned in a strong current.And in my experience - excepting chalk streams - grayling are not remotely line shy

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Top trotting! A Yorkshire 3lber is the stuff of dreams!

The reaction of grayling to line is something that has puzzled me for years. Like you I tend to use Reflo in the .13 and .15 sizes and certainly don't feel over-gunned. I followed a similar argument to yours in a discussion with one of the Southern circuit guys after an article I published elsewhere. I was convinced that good presentation made up for relatively strong tackle, but then one of the Ilkley AA matchmen (grayling form the bulk of their match weights) proceeded to empty a swim I'd fished for an hour and declared empty. He was using .09mm line and a size 22 hook and had around a dozen decent grayling. It gives me food for thought when the going is tough, but I do take the view that you've got to have a good chance of landing what you hook or else there's no point in fishing.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Yes- and my grayling see about 4 fishermen a year....

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A real red letter day, nice one John :Thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Superb specimen grayling- i'm sure you will get a 3 lb one soon.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Those fish are huge by Yorkshire standards! Well done Sir. Now all I need to do is fish all the River in Yorkshire to find out where you were haha.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hovis, I would try either the Swale, Ure, Derwent or Nidd. But I'm only guessing (an educated guess of course). I suspect they're the main rivers in Yorkshire with a healthy head of Grayling.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ahm sayin nowt.

(But you can PM me Darren)

(But not about where John is fishing cos I don't know)
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”