What a day

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: What a day

Post by Phil Arnott »

Well done John! Terrific fishing! I think I know where you are but wouldn’t say of course.

Interesting subject regarding the use of fine tackle for grayling, so I’ll give you my thoughts for what they are worth.

I have seen grayling become very difficult to catch when they have been caught and returned a few times. I've often defended grayling against the trout snobs saying that they were more difficult to catch than trout which in my experience can be the case when bait fishing. I think in these situations fine tackle is a must. You can sometimes fool them in other ways such as feeding them free offerings before presenting them with a baited hook. You can also swim the bait past them continually and they sometimes have a go at it and other tricks like this but dropping the line diameter has to be a first step.

If grayling have not been subject to a lot of angling pressure and providing they are feeding well then I don’t think they are difficult to catch and heavier tackle and less refined techniques can produce results.

Grayling aren't a fish that run for snags when hooked so providing they are in open water there should be no problem playing them on reasonably light tackle. The hook hold can be a problem particularly with some of the antics that they get up to when hooked. Generally you get a good hook hold providing the hook doesn't catch in the hard bony plate in the corners of their mouths. I have landed fish with the hook point in this bony plate where the hook hasn't penetrated past the barb. I've obviously been a bit lucky to land these fish and I think fish lost because of this problem have resulted in the myth that grayling are soft mouthed. Like mullet of which I've also caught in good numbers the opposite is true. I think confidence in the hook is probably more important than the line strength.

My standard tackle for grayling is 2-12lb Drennan double strength and a no. 16 Drennan “Carbon Chub” hook or similar. I’ve landed quite a few 4 and 5lb chub on this tackle so grayling aren’t usually a problem.

The picture below is Kev Clifford returning a Yorkshire fish of 3lb 4oz I caught on Driffield Beck in 2010. It's such a great sight to see them swim away.

John Aston

Re: What a day

Post by John Aston »

Ho hum- down to earth with a bump today . Perfect conditions- cold ,still and very dull -and a few daft trout (I won't call them that after 1 April) and only one lovely grayling of about 1-4 . But it is what Boxing Day is about - wild horses wouldn't get me near a ...errmm.. retail park .

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”