Fishing a dropper whilst trotting

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Champ
Chub

Re: Fishing a dropper whilst trotting

Post by Champ »

I have tried the method three or four times on the Frome.All fish took the baited hook below on these days.Not a fair trial though and i may not have fished it effectively,i am sure it is a good method and will try again.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have used a similar method when fishing the river Dove,which is infested with signal crayfish,for chub and barbel.I fix a cage feeder to the end line and fish one or two nymphs on droppers above the feeder.I have had moderate success with both chub and barbel using this method.The Crayfish hang around the feeder and of course are not interested in the nymphs.I have never used this method in the winter but may give a try,although I prefer conventional trotting methods when fishing for grayling on the Dove
Mark Davies

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

A very interesting artikel, George!
I've been planning to try this method since I read about it in a forum from Switzerland. It seems to be a very traditional method there as well, trotting nymphs mainly.
As there aren't any grayling in the Regnitz, I'm hoping to catch trout this way. Flyfishing isn't really possible due to crowds of tourists at my favourite spots (I'm usually fishing in town, quite close to all the historic buildings Bamberg has to offer), so I haven't ever even tried that.
A dry fly above the float sounds interesting as well. Trout aren't open before march so I have some time preparing my tackle for this method and order some flies. Are there any recommendations on fly patterns a should look for?

Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Fascinating! Flyt fishing!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”