Grayling Baits

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Grayling Baits

Post by Phil Arnott »

Of the grayling I have caught most were taken using maggot with quite a few on worm and fly particularly artificial shrimp. I have actually been fishing along side friends who had taken grayling on spinner but they always eluded me. However just before I lost access to my friends stretch of Driffield Beck when he sold up and retired, I caught one on Mepps Black Fury which is my favourite trout spinner.

I would be interested to know if members had caught grayling on baits other than those mentioned.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Grayling Baits

Post by Chubman »

pomiegrante seeds do well for grayling, i dont use sweetcorn as grayling cannot digest them,i never loose feed corn for that reason

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I wonder if some of the 4-6mm soft hook pellets made for carping (krill flavour in particular) would catch as the orange krill pellets would visually mimic fish eggs...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

We don't allow spinning on the primarily game fishing stretches of the Frome but I have caught them on casters and bread as well as the usual maggots.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Red or fluoro maggot would be my first choice with punched bread second
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

red maggots for numbers, sweetcorn for larger fish, worm on rivers that do not allow maggot, caught on bread when fishing for roach, also caught lots on flies and nymphs

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've had plenty on bread but red maggots are my first choice.

Berkley do artificial fish eggs in various colours, I've heard of them being successful with grayling and barbel :Wink:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Red maggot is the bait Fatty uses whilst trotting.

Flies are simply Killer Bug fished Netheravon Style.......the tattiest fly in the box will suffice.

Bread catches too many trout.....any silly so and so that tells you they don't adore bread has obviously not used it!

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

My local river Avon used to be prolific for grayling back in the eighties and anyone who could cast in could catch them.there were so many of them that tossing in a handful of maggots would see the fish turning and darting around the swim like a trout farm.anyway,on one particular day I wasn’t catching as many as I thought I should have been as white maggots had always been the go to bait for this river.since things were slow I ended up foraging around in the shallows turning over the rocks and collecting all the different natural baits I could.
I can’t remember all the species I collected,but I do remember that only one worked and it was deadly.i even tried a two hook set up so I could fish two different baits.i tried this particular natural bait on the top hook and tried different baits on the other e.g maggots,shrimp,caddis etc etc just to see and every fish I caught was on the top hook.what was this bait that the grayling couldn’t resist above all others,the freshwater snail.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Bleak
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

Some good advice there, thank you.

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”