First Grayling of the Year!

This forum is for discussing grayling.
GrahamV
Ruffe

First Grayling of the Year!

Post by GrahamV »

Hello everyone

For the last few weeks I've been working flat out in my darkroom trying to get on top of a new photography commission from the gallery so combined with the shocking weather I haven't had much chance to celebrate the new year with a trip to the river. But by Thursday I had pretty much completed all I could so with nothing much else to do until the gallery could send me the sizes of the final pictures I was at a bit of a loose end. So I decided to treat myself to days trotting for grayling up in the dale. These days most of my fishing is with the fly so it must have been 10 years since I last trotted for grayling so I was pretty excited to get back into it. The day dawned misty but a weak January sun started to break through the clouds as I tackled up my Priory rod with my Aerial which certainly improved my confidence. Over the years my float collection certainly been pretty neglected and it took a bit of digging through my tackle box to find some hooks, float rubbers and split shot but soon with a small pot of "brandlings" (my local tackle shop informed me they are no longer called that??) I was ready to start.

I was worried to see how the river had changed since the flooding over Christmas, but though a lot of stone and gravel had been shifted the main runs still seemed just as good.

It felt great to feel the centre pin trundling away once again and the old winch still ran smooth as silk.

And after a few runs the floats slipped under I raised the rod expecting it to be another boulder but suddenly the rod curved over into the thumping fight of a grayling!

A new worm, few slight adjustment to the depth of the float and few more trots through and the float shot away again and this time some serious took off down the pool. After a good tussle I had what was to be the biggest grayling of the day. Pushing 16in and good pound and three quarters he was a stunning fish in this prime

I had one more grayling from this pool and then it all went quiet so I moved upstream to a small deep pool the runs behind an island. By now the weather had started to take a turn for the worse and the temperature had started to fall but despite this I managed a few more ladies bringing the days total to 8.

Thanks for reading!

Graham

Paul D

Re: First Grayling of the Year!

Post by Paul D »

Nice report Graham, what are brandlings called now? :Hat:

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

What a nice report! I am envious. The Rye is still too high to trot for grayling so I've not had my first of the year yet.
Graham, I have just visited your website. I too am a keen black-and -white photographer, and like you enjoy using 5 x 4 cameras. I have a couple of home-made ones which I use to photograph the North York Moors, and the coast from Whitby up to Teesmouth ( Paddy's Hole)
Can you supply details of the gallery where you show your work?

Alan clark

GrahamV
Ruffe

Post by GrahamV »

Not really sure Paul the bloke said in the shop said "you don't get brandlings any more, their now called Dendrobaena Worms" I just said OK and gave him my £1.80?? :Confused:

Cheers Ryeman the gallery is in Darlington and it's called Gallerina been selling there for a number of years. Their website is www.gallerina.co.uk or you can follow the link on my blog page "where to see and buy my work" Planning a trip to Paddy's Hole in the next few weeks with a friend bit of a pilgrimage my great granddad once kept a Whitby Coble there! Like the sound of your home made 5x4 camera love to see some pictures!

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Graham, thanks. Will take a look at the gallery.
Perhaps we can meet up at Paddy's Hole. Maybe you could get in touch when you are planning to go.

Alan

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Very nice report and photographs. Great looking Grayling :Thumb:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Brilliant fish well done.

GrahamV
Ruffe

Post by GrahamV »

Ryeman wrote:Graham, thanks. Will take a look at the gallery.
Perhaps we can meet up at Paddy's Hole. Maybe you could get in touch when you are planning to go.

Alan
That's a great idea Alan I'll PM you when I know the date! :)

And cheers Kevin and Badger the fish where in tip top shape got to be one of the best grayling days I've had all season!

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Thanks Graham.
Apologies for hijacking your thread !
Just looked at the pictures of the grayling again. That's a lovely fish...

Alan

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Great bit of sport Graham, nice looking winter grayling, makes me feel confident for the weekend :Hat:

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”