Handmade Floats

This forum belongs to Andrew Batchelor of Handmade Floats.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Handmade Floats

Post by Mark »

Here's a nice website www.handmadefloats.co.uk lots of beautiful floats and accessories here.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Handmade Floats

Post by Snape »

I have some of these. Very nice they are too.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Hello chaps.

Talking of floats why not have a look at these. They are in my mind the most beautiful handmade items of terminal tackle ive seen.

http://handmadefloats.blogspot.com/

enjoy
BSC
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes there are some lovely floats there BSC.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Wow! When does usable tackle become art? :think:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Sadly its not just floats. I had Dave Austin of Maidstone Kent who made me 2 cane armed landing nets one 36" arms, the other 30". With 7 foot 2 piece cane handles, they look so nice they adorn my hallway with cane rods poles etc at the back of the nets. It looks so good I can't bring myself round to using them, which I have decided I will have to buy another net. At least when my Son and Grandson get them they will be as new. In my study I have scattered around various receptacle containing many hand made float from friends around the country including a lovely quill float died green by Richard Walker. I have a big porcupine quill as used by Bernard Venable in the 1930's the memories are priceless. Regards Martin

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I take is that if people want to make such special objects, then so be it. Some will want to buy them to put in a display case on show and will recieve much pleasure from looking at them and showing them off, others will want to buy floats etc... to use so will not go for the more expensive, better made objects./ it's another case of each to their own and there is no wrong or right. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I'm terrible, I will use any float (or tackle) no matter how nice it looks. :oops:

For example, I have some lovely floats which some may consider art but I chuck'em around and use them all the time and they do eventually get battered, same with my cane bank sticks were the pointy end has seen better days. :(

The thing for me is, if something has been created for a purpose and can actually be used for the purpose it was created for then I say use it! :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

J.T wrote: The thing for me is, if something has been created for a purpose and can actually be used for the purpose it was created for then I say use it! :thumb:
I totally agree. I continue to use classic cars as my daily drive and have done for years. At least one of my cars would have graced a museum. The guys who built them in the factory would have laughed at the thought. Use it and enjoy it.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have some and i use them this is what they are for.Andy Bs floats are very well made and well designed.As far as i know they are designed to be used and dont have feathers etc under the varnish.There are makers that have added this "art"to their floats and good luck to them.Just my opinion :| .

Return to “Andrew Batchelor - Handmade Floats”