Moleskin Trousers

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Robbi
Tench

Moleskin Trousers

Post by Robbi »

Afternoon all,

Does anyone else wear Moleskin trousers ? i've worn them for years and love them. My usual sourse has had a couple of price hikes recently that puts them out of my price range but I've found Hoggs of Fife very reasonable and just got a couple of pairs.

And what wonderful Moleskins they are :) good heavy weight cotton, hard wearing, great fit and comfy.

I have no connection with Hoggs other than a happy customer and i would certainly recommend them to anyone :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Aitch
Pike

Re: Moleskin Trousers

Post by Aitch »

Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My moleskin breeches are by "Grassroots," sold by West Country Guns on the Bay of E for a bargain buy-it-now of £25.50 including p&p. They have done trousers, and tweed and cord breeches, at the same price ! Well worth looking out for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRASSROOTS-MO ... 84be73eb53

I also have moleskin trousers which I use as daily wear, bought from the Bay of E also (as are almost all my clothes these days). I love moleskin for its comfort and durability ... warm in winter and cool in summer..

Hoggs of Fife are a fine retailer, and I had two of their cotton shirts as presents last Christmas.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Used to buy mine from Walkers , they were nice and tight fitting , ones you see now are the more trad and very baggy :Thumbsdown:: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Woolly Bear wrote:ones you see now are the more trad and very baggy
It's not the trousers that are baggy these days, Sir ... sadly, it's me !!! :Cry: :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I wore nothing else for around 30 years and have only just stopped putting them on on a daily basis this last year as my house must have suddenly gone damp and my moleskins have shrunk! :shocked:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Woolly Bear wrote:Used to buy mine from Walkers , they were nice and tight fitting , ones you see now are the more trad and very baggy :Thumbsdown:: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
They were the Tamla of Dearne Valley 'Slim Fit' ones we used to sell.

I really liked the fit of the Hoggs of Fife Moleskin jeans. I had quite a few pairs of those.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Woolly Bear wrote:Used to buy mine from Walkers , they were nice and tight fitting , ones you see now are the more trad and very baggy :Thumbsdown:: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
Have to agree with you there WB. You could always get them altered, simply take a pair of trousers that you are happy with to a haberdashery and say make these moleskins like these, that's what I do.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Moleskin trousers? You can't beat 'em.

They are my daily wear, comfortable, practical, and quite smart when I keep them pressed. In fact, my daily attire is moleskins, 20-year-old Barbour brogues, tattershall shirt, shooting tie and buff doeskin waistcoat complete with my Grandpa's pocket watch and chain. Oh, and a nice harris tweed jacket complete with buff suede elbow patches if I'm going out.

I wear my older moleskins for fishing and shooting, and shall soon have to buy some replacement breeks as the waistband seems top have shrunk with age :Chuckle:

Pretty well impossible to get over here in France, I have to take a risk on eBay to buy moleskins and there can be annoying variations in size and cut. Mostly that doesn't bother me too much as I'm more comfortable with braces (lower spine injury doesn't like tight belts) and usually have a sweater on top.

I might try Hoggs for my breeches thanks to Robbi's tip.

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have been wearing Moleskin trousers for 20 plus years for fishing. I must have about four or five pairs.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”