Barbours

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
John Aston

Re: Barbours

Post by John Aston »

I'd better whisper this but I was delighted when I didn't have to buy Barbours any more ; I found them massively overrated and over priced. They were heavy , smelly and nothing as like as hard wearing as they were supposed to be. I'd get splits , stuck zips and general distress after three or four seasons. Yes, I give my gear a very hard time but a Musto goretex Highlander jacket I bought in '97 is still serviceable apart from a ripped collar; it is still 100% wind and waterproof , weighs next to nothing and is washable.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I can understand the preference for modern apparel, the Barbour I cherish the most, is my Barbour stockman, great to wear whilst stalking in the pouring rain, combined with wellies, also makes a little ground sheet, when the rain has stopped. I`ve also used it for numerous things other than wearing.....

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

So can I Merlot.....modern material....lightweight....expensive too........but I cherish the Barbour I bought in 1985 when I bought my first little cottage. All those years ago....now a bit frayed around the edges....everything still working fine though....a bit knarled and could do with a re-proof but it has character and that "lived in" look that can only come with age...................and that's just the Barbour....

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”