Barbours

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Barbours

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

too hot in summer for me

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Me too, much prefer my "Tilley hat" in the warmer months

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I agree that it is to warm in summer,but in autumn and spring its great at rainy days.
My Drifter hat has seen a lot in his 15 years life,but waterproof as the first day...

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Mrs Tinca says that you can see on the had what is my mood.
When Iam REALLY bad mooded I wear a green Tweed Bucket modell,when Iam in a funny mood
I wear my Barbour deerstalker or Tyrolian Lodenhut...

The most usefull hat I own is a Pinewood with moskitonet....But this one isnot waterproof...

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I wanted to pick up a belt for my Solway Zipper so made a note of this one.
Then forgot all about it......thank goodness!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271379385135? ... 1423.l2649

Pete

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote:and on the same basis that modern stuff is better (i would agree) why are we using cane rods and centrepins?

wax cotton is cold and heavy- but somehow going fishing in some modern plastic job would not be the same
Yes, you´re right. I too love the look. But sadly ... my Barbours are pretty much useless in bad weather. The collar is badly designed, the water sips in everywhere, the cuffs are a joke, making my jersey or whatever I wear under the jacket wet in seconds. This is especially the case when fly fishing where one needs to lift the rod.
A good hunting jacket may be a compromise for those who want to stay dry and warm and still like the classic look. There are wax jackets that are much better quality than Barbours in my opinion and still look much better than a plastic job.
And for durability, imagine you bought waders, traditional, classy look. Repairable. They were leaking just a tiny little bit from the first day, enough to get soaked at the end of a days fishing. They were very durable, no problems to walk through the thickest woods, and a rewax in the factory every two or three years - for a laughable fee of say 20 quid - would restore the waterproofing to the original level (tiny leak). What´d you say? That´s why I go for the compromise. Ok, waders are under water anyway :Scared:
Best, Bobby

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Hate to disagree Bobby but my Beaufort is utterly waterproof, Velcro storm cuffs stop any moisture going up my arm, lift the collar up and fasten the popper takes care of the neck and it's long enough to allow rain to run off without soaking my trousers.
I do agree they can feel a little cold and clammy times though.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Paul D wrote:Hate to disagree Bobby but my Beaufort is utterly waterproof, Velcro storm cuffs stop any moisture going up my arm, lift the collar up and fasten the popper takes care of the neck and it's long enough to allow rain to run off without soaking my trousers.
I do agree they can feel a little cold and clammy times though.
Well, I suppose the weather in the UK is much better than in Belgium. :Hahaha:
My Classic Moorland is really not a good jacket. But I love it anyway. The game pocket is huge and in my youth I used to carry the drink in it...Best, Bobby

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Guys. I have had my original Gamekeeper jacket for over 30 years ( I know cos the wife bought it as a wedding present ) and on our 25th anniversary we managed to find a new one to replace it but I still wear the old one cos its more user friendly . Greta for keeping dry and not letting wind in but need a warm under waistcoat or something . Also great to sit on at times very versatile .

Surrey martin

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Hi ,
the Classic Moorland seems not to be the best jacket Barbours produced.
My is from bad quality,too.But after now 16 years I have a problem to get separated of it...
I Reproofed it and let repair the arms a few weeks ago.
This jacket is out of production now and I am looking for a Northumbria jacket.
Tried it and it was confortable...

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”