Barbours

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Barbours

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

have enquired with Barbour- and they have confirmed that production is still in the UK- The more recent lighter stuff is perhaps more fashion than function but the "proper" heavyweight stuff is still available

Not sure that after 30 years of abuse I have another 30 to try and wear my Northumbria jacket out anyway!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've just looked at the Barbour website and found it very annoying, I gave up looking. A premier brand let down by shoddy design.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Oh yes.Has nothing to do with the assortment ten years ago.

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

I tried to get their repair kit a few years ago and was told that it was no longer available.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

My retailer told me the same today...Only service at Barbours...Think they arenot interessted in repairing old ones but in selling new ones...

Now a few Barbour jackets have to die..

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

shall we rebrand the TFF website "grumpy old men website"?

ok they are selling more to yuppies/bright young things but at least they are still here and trying- look at the mess that is marks and spencers , belstaff etc etc and realise that they have had to adapt to a changing market- but at least we can still buy the traditional stuff!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Ian, I don't think you can buy a traditional Barbour jacket e.g a Solway. The company is doing very well at the moment and is still family run. It is a premier brand. However, if they diversify too much they will become just another clothing manufacturer and lose the USP that everyone remembers them for, green waxed jackets.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Yesterday I tried a new Northumbria jacket at my retailer.It was no NOS and Made in Englang stood on the label.
In my opinion the material is not the heavyweight it was years ago but it felt like sylkoil.

The price is like before 15 years ,but is the quality,too?

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tinca Tinca wrote:Yesterday I tried a new Northumbria jacket at my retailer.It was no NOS and Made in Englang stood on the label.
In my opinion the material is not the heavyweight it was years ago but it felt like sylkoil.

The price is like before 15 years ,but is the quality,too?
lets check how it lasts- please diary to remind you to post a message Jan 26 2044- looking forward to reading your report!!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

SofaSurfer wrote:Ian, I don't think you can buy a traditional Barbour jacket e.g a Solway. The company is doing very well at the moment and is still family run. It is a premier brand. However, if they diversify too much they will become just another clothing manufacturer and lose the USP that everyone remembers them for, green waxed jackets.
certainly as I posted earlier- its fun to go into the Barbour outlet stores wearing biking or fishing Barbour and see the reaction from their other customers who have largely never been on a bike or winter river bank in their lives!- even more reason for us lot to carry on buying

i sell motorcycle exhausts- our problem is that they last for 15-20 years so repeat business is tough to find- suppose Barbour is in a similar place- selling 2 jackets max per customer lifetime is a bit different from the competition in clothing where stuff is replaced after a few months life

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”