Barbours

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Barbours

Post by Woodytia »

My collection of used Barbours has got out of control recently, if anyone is considering buying one please send me a PM with your requirements and an email address. I just might have something to suit.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Barbours

Post by Snape »

Woodytia wrote:My collection of used Barbours has got out of control recently, if anyone is considering buying one please send me a PM with your requirements and an email address. I just might have something to suit.
Hi
My 28 year old Barbour Border and finally fallen apart so I am looking for a 42" Border or Northumbria jacket if you can help that would be great.
Thanks
Nigel
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Eremitic

Post by Eremitic »

I've been looking at replacing my 30+ year old Durham that is falling apart and mor eor less retired to allotment duties, but have been thoroughly disappointed with the quality of their latest offerings, which I understand are mostly knocked out in China now. I considered getting my Durham refurbished but it would cost almost as much as a new one.
After much dithering and searching, the postie delivered these this morning,

A Westmorland and a Beaufort. Both are used, but in truly excellent condition. More importantly, they are of sufficient vintage as to be of the old quality and should outlast me.
We are due gales and rain here today - can't wait!

Just found a hood for the Beaufort too. They were going for over £30 plus postage in the right tartan on eBay, but someone kindly offered me one they had stashed in their loft for the last twelve years. :Thumb:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

BLIMEY! Are modern ones really made abroad? I really rate Barbour stuff ( there traditional range ).
I've got a beufourt , had it about 7 years now and it just gets better the more it's worn.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Paul D wrote:BLIMEY! Are modern ones really made abroad?
I don't know if they are made abroad, but they don't smell anymore,
if I pass my old Barbours on their hooks in my staircase, just the smell of them
makes me instantly dream about former motorcycle travels and fishing adventures

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Hmm, mine smells ( lovely to me ) so it must be a good one, mind I have rewaxed it twice now, it does sometimes lead a hard life .

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Not sure where the coats I come by are made, but the newer models are not as substantial, I tend to wear them for everyday use rather than fishing, although I do have a Solway zipper. I can recommend getting hold of a liner for the winter though they really do make a difference.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

My Barbour Solway is 40 years old and has a smell of mud, fish, dogs and mould. Lovely. Every summer on a really hot day, I wash it in warm water (no soap) and hang it up to dry. When it is soft and dry, I re-wax it and use a hair dryer to melt and spread the wax. It's going to outlive me.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

As a new member this topic has raised a smile. I didn't realised there were others out there like me.

I bought my first Barbour as a teenage angler in 1972. It was a unlined Durham lightweight jacket. The double flap over the shoulders was clipped down by press studs unlike the more modern versions which are sewn down. I don't think they do the unlined version any more since they became more aware of their tartan lining as a brand selling point.

I bought it from J H Kelly's Tackle Shop in Hyde Cheshire - long since gone. Jim Kelly was the consumate salesman and I can only think as I looked at it in a dingy mirror in an even more dingy back room ,he must have had a handful of excess material gathered up behind my back as it still fits me today although I'm nowhere near my 9 1/2 stone I weighed then.
It a bit battered but still going strong.

Does anyone know if barbour still do the little repair tins of material?
Also if anyone has sent an old companion to them for refurbishment recently how many arms and legs did it cost and was it still as good as years ago?

Rgds

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Must admit I don't buy them any more , the new ones just don't go the distance and if its not the zip that breaks the arms wear out and the proofing washes off after the first immersion to rain , load of rubbish :Hair out: . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”