Dubarry boots

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Buller
Rudd

Dubarry boots

Post by Buller »

Well are they worth the small fortune they cost? I’m really curious. Are they a legitimate hard-core wellie or just something the posh shooting set swank around in?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Dubarry boots

Post by RBTraditional »

Not Dubarrys but I do wear a pair of leather wellies, they are a lot warmer than either standard or neoprene equivalents, are totally waterproof, feet don’t sweat in them and mine have done 10years with little sign of wear....I’ve been through several pairs of Hunters in that time....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

RBTraditional wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm Not Dubarrys but I do wear a pair of leather wellies, they are a lot warmer than either standard or neoprene equivalents, are totally waterproof, feet don’t sweat in them and mine have done 10years with little sign of wear....I’ve been through several pairs of Hunters in that time....
I'd be interested to know more. I've totally gone of hunters now. Muck boots are now my default choice.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have used the same pair of LeChameau Goretex lined leather knee boots for the last 12 years.They are still totally waterproof and very warm.They were more than £200 but very good value in that I have gone through at least four or five pairs of rubber boots in that time.If you are ever in Ireland Dubarry has a factory shop in County Westmeath that sells seconds of all it range of boots and clothing.
Mark Davies

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

After living with many different types of welly over the years from basic Hunters, through to Royal Hunters and dabbled with various thermal boots, both fleece lined and neoprene lined I eventually 15 years ago dug deep and purchased my first pair of Le Chameau Chasseur zip up leather lined boots https://www.lechameau.com/gb/men-s-chas ... html?c=283 and never looked back.
I was never a lover of wellies and always found them cold clammy things to wear yet my Chameau's I can comfortably wear all day summer or winter. I am on my second pair of them now. Yes they are ridiculous money but should something happen to the current pair, I would have to swallow hard and dig deep again. Another item that lasts longer than anything I have worn previously so you can dilute the price a little when spread over the 10 or 11 years I got out of the first pair and that included daily dog walking.
I see the Dubarry boots are a little cheaper. They look the part but not sure I could be bothered with looking after the leather and I'm sure I would miss the easy getting in and out of that my zip up Chameau's offer. Would be interested to see some after 10 years hard use and whether they are still keeping the wearer dry stood in a foot of water or whether the Goretex has broken down.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too wear Chameau - rubber neoprene lined - so far lasted over 10 years. Brilliant boots. About £120.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Dubarry look a bit effeminate if you ask me! Always had a bit of a quandary over wellies as I have oversized calves. I had a pair of Hunter Sovereign made to measure at the old Gates factory in Dumfries in the days before Hunter went all highstreet trendy and subsequently moved their manufacturing overseas. They were over £300 and that's about 20 years ago. They are still going strong but I now keep them for 'best' and use Grubbs for general farm duties, quadbike etc. In general I prefer the support of laced goretex boots but they're not always the answer either.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I have to join some of the others and say that Le Chameau are my boots of choice - 2 pairs 1 neoprene lined and the other leather lined both absolutely superb and they last and last. Chameau have recently changed the standard green to a tad darker meaning the older style can be had for amazing prices - £75 I have seen them on THE auction site very very recently. At the retail price of £160 it can put a fair few off but at the aforementioned price and considering there superior build say to hunters (my opinion via usage) means they are definitely worth a look.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I have to agree with the above re Hunters-my wife has had 3 pairs in quick succession up until about 5 years ago when we decided enough is enough. The quality and hard wearing aspect of them has long gone since they moved production to China (I think)
Brought her a pair of Seeland neoprene and rubber wellies with a decent amount of ankle support and chunky soles-so far so good, they are holding up well. I am now on my second pair of Bullseye Hood wellies, the first pair having lasted the best part of 20 years and the second pair now on 7 years. They wont win any fashion shows but do the job well enough and are fairly comfortable for a stomp.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I have worn a pair of dubarry wexford boots for around 11years now.
They are excellent... however and this is big .. do not expect them to be waterproof.

Despite years of cleaning them and rubbing grease of whatever sorts into them they never stay waterproof, the best thing is to buy a pair of waterproof socks.

Great soft comfortable boots but they have issues..

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”