Keeping the mosquito's off and thanks to The Bishop

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Shaun Harrison
Rainbow Trout

Keeping the mosquito's off and thanks to The Bishop

Post by Shaun Harrison » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm

For my 3,333rd post I thought I would pass on a little tip that has been working a treat.

I will start off by saying I hate mosquito repellent products whilst angling. I don't want them anywhere near my hands, tackle or bait but sadly I get bit an awful lot. The little perishers seem to really like my blood. The reason I brought my Kelly Kettle several years back was after keeping them at bay with a friends smoldering fire pit at the insect biting capital of the world, Woldale.

Prior to that I used to surround myself with Joss sticks, so what if I looked and smelt like an aging hippie type?

My pipe would come out in an absolute emergency, more smoke making really than smoking. I'm not a smoker, never have been, although I can enjoy a nice Cuban cigar and fortunately can then go months without the craving for another. I still have a wooden box full that I've had for years.

Now a few weeks back the bishop put a post up that he was thinning his coat collection down and among these was a long Barbour Stockman. I'd hung my nose on one for some time but never actually committed to pressing buy when looking on line. There was a particular job I had for a very long coat but they seemed a lot of money for an experiment. When this 'little used' one cropped up I decided it was the perfect opportunity to see if I really did need one and whether or not I would actually wear one.

Well just a few weeks on, despite the way the weather has been, I have indeed been using it. The mosquito's where I have been angling, like most other places are at their most troublesome just before and just into dark. I have found the perfect mozzie shield without having to get all lotioned up. Sat in my chair, my whole body and legs are protected for the period I most need protecting. Using just my little finger and next one of my left hand I use a mosquito wipe on my forehead, face, ears and neck, then tuck one in each sock. A personal 40 plus year problem solved.

Reedling
Barbel

Re: Keeping the mosquito's off and thanks to The Bishop

Post by Reedling » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Rather you than me getting well ripe in that coat, I would rather sit there burning a box of Nag Champa and don my love beads instead.

Shaun Harrison
Rainbow Trout

Post by Shaun Harrison » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Not been an issue, you must sweat a lot more than me. :Scared:

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm

I eat loads of Onions, Garlic and have my Apple cider vinegar with mother every day so I think what I do sweat acts as a pretty good repellent.. I just like my beads and sticks. I do like your coat but not in this heat.

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I used to use Jungle Juice to keep the mosquitos at bay whilst night fishing. Oddly though, thinking back, I caught far more fish when I used this mosquito repellent compared to nowadays when I don't bother with any repellent. Now I am wondering if it's also a weird fish attractant.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Michael
Eel

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 am

Avon skin so soft, works a treat! :Ok:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
Marcus Aurelius

Shaun Harrison
Rainbow Trout

Post by Shaun Harrison » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am

Santiago wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm
I used to use Jungle Juice to keep the mosquitos at bay whilst night fishing. Oddly though, thinking back, I caught far more fish when I used this mosquito repellent compared to nowadays when I don't bother with any repellent. Now I am wondering if it's also a weird fish attractant.
I have always avoided Deet after a doctor told me to.

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 am

Put the beads on, slap on the patchouli and burn your Nag Champa, the mosquitos will stay 'Far out'. :Cool:

Old Man River
Perch

Post by Old Man River » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 am

I have the same problem exactly, and cover up everywhere, trousers into socks, and use a mozzie net hood as well, over my hat. Not pretty, and not really comfortable , but effective. I also use Avon Skin so soft, and Mozzie wipes on the backs of my hands, wrists, and neck.
I find when night fishing, they arent much of a problem if I only use my headlight minimally, in the dark they dont seem to bother me at all, light on for only a few seconds its like the blitz.

PS, as I suffer from Anaphylaxis it is important for me to keep insects at bay as they put me in intensive care last time I got up close and personal with one.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Shaun Harrison
Rainbow Trout

Post by Shaun Harrison » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:46 am

My legs carry permanent scars from past bites, it is just getting through that hour and a bit when the light is dropping when they are at their worst. I try not to ever shine lights at night.

Last week I was away in France being filmed and had to suffer the 'lights, camera, action' with a fish I caught during the dark hours as I refuse to retain fish. Within seconds I was being bombarded and there were so many critters attacking the camera light that the crew actually filmed those too.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”