question on hats

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Iasgair
Chub

question on hats

Post by Iasgair »

Where can I find a hat like Mr. Oliver Edwards wears? What style is it called ?

Thank you.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: question on hats

Post by Marc »

It’s a Ghillie hat and here’s a link.

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/products/all- ... illie-hat/
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

If you are intending to use it in the Winter months, you might prefer a Harris Tweed one. I know that I do!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Thank you both very much. Over here, a traditional fishing hat would be a Fedora, just like in the movie, " A River Runs Through It ". Now I wear a Tilley. Great hat, does a fantastic job, but really not the style I like.

The price on the Ghillie hats are not bad at all. I take it these hats would be better for winter then? I was looking at the Harris Tweed hats last night. They look good too.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I’m a bit of a fan of Oliver Edwards; his fly tying videos are excellent.

Hats. Where to start; I absolutely love a hat! I’ve got dozens, for all different occasions and weathers. My favourite is the Barbour crushable bushman or my tweed fedora, which is adorned with one of my TFF badges. The ghillie is one I don’t have, though now I’ve seen one I must have it. They look like a deer stalker with the flaps cut off, which may be their origin. You could probably wear it whenever you like, but on a hot sunny day it might prove a bit sweaty under there. For hot summer days it a panama for me.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Iasgair wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 am Thank you both very much. Over here, a traditional fishing hat would be a Fedora, just like in the movie, " A River Runs Through It ". Now I wear a Tilley. Great hat, does a fantastic job, but really not the style I like.

The price on the Ghillie hats are not bad at all. I take it these hats would be better for winter then? I was looking at the Harris Tweed hats last night. They look good too.
I've used my green fedora for river fishing, the problem is stopping it from blowing off. Felts take an age to dry and re-shape. My go to fishing hat in the winter is a Harris Tweed rollable (a bit like the one you were asking about but with a flat top). In the summer it's a an all cotton Tilley T3 with the snap-up brim. The Tilley method for keeping the hat on in the wind is second to none .... and copied from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police I think! In the spring and autumn, you cant go wrong with a Tweed flat cap in my humble opinion. :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Duckett wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 pm
Iasgair wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 am Thank you both very much. Over here, a traditional fishing hat would be a Fedora, just like in the movie, " A River Runs Through It ". Now I wear a Tilley. Great hat, does a fantastic job, but really not the style I like.

I've used my green fedora for river fishing, the problem is stopping it from blowing off. Felts take an age to dry and re-shape. My go to fishing hat in the winter is a Harris Tweed rollable (a bit like the one you were asking about but with a flat top). In the summer it's a an all cotton Tilley T3 with the snap-up brim. The Tilley method for keeping the hat on in the wind is second to none .... and copied from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police I think! In the spring and autumn, you cant go wrong with a Tweed flat cap in my humble opinion. :Hat:
I bought the Tilley just because of the wind, it has a string to tighten up under the chin, and they are UV resistant which is a plus. I would love a Fedora again, but no where around here sells the classic 1940's style Fedora's, so I have to go online. The problem with that is, I like to see them in person because looking at them online they all pretty much look the same, but they are not. And most are really expensive. I could just go the other way and wear the western style of hat again, but the last one I had, and liked very much, ended up going down river because of the wind.

I have a brown Fedora that is more for formal wear, and I'd hate to lose it or get it all messed up.

Kirpan
Bleak

Post by Kirpan »

I know its probably a bit late but I believe the hat is known as a "fore and aft", in reference to its peaks

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a nice Pith Helmet , you know, the ones that the "establishment " used to wear when there was British Empire ..

I should really wear it more often, but "She who must be obeyed " will not walk on the same footpath as I do when I am wearing it.. I have a multitude of hats myself, from Fedoras, to Baseball caps, to Tweed Caps, a "wee jimmy " hat, several police helmets, a wax Barbour hat, a "Dryzabone " Two Aussie bushmans caps, in fact there are a lot more, but my Pith Helmet must sureley get a trip out this year.... in fact, Peter, when we arrive in Norfolk, I just may do the opening day in it !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

The 'Ghillie hat' is also known as a 'Fore and Aft' in Scotland - the land of ghillies :Sun:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”