Wader recommendation for my first ever pair.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Wader recommendation for my first ever pair.

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Can anyone recommend me some waders?

I've never had any before but I plan of doing a bit more river fishing and can see how they may be useful in some places.

I don't want to spend a fortune, especially if I don't know how I will get on with them, what with them being my first pair.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Wader recommendation for my first ever pair.

Post by Paul F »

It depends on the time of year you will be wading
For winter you need Neoprene (Diawa chest waders will cost £100-120)

for summer/autumn you need breathable waders, I like the Leeda waist waders, which you wear like trousers, i like them as they prevent me going too deep, and to be honest you don't need to wade deep. They do a boot foot type which are convenient for around £60-80, Although I prefer the stocking foot, which means you wear separate wading boots, so you pay £60-70 for the waders and £50-70 for the boot. (you can wear thermal underwear during winter)

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I agree with, Paul F, that’s what I’d do, and have. I have the leader trouser type and a set of diawa neoprene waders. Word of warning however, the diawa neoprene wader I have weigh a tonne, and a wading belt will be needed if you buy chest waders.

They’re very useful things to have. Not just for getting in the water, but also for sitting on wet ground, walking through long dew drenched grass etc. I rarely take a seat river fishing, so a good set of waders provides warmth and comfort when sitting on wet banks. Also, keeps the car seat clean.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I must say I do not wear waders at all now but when I did I normally had a pair of Dunlop rubber thigh waders and they served me well, the local drainage board used them!. I used to climb up and down the cliffs in them and wade out in the surf to empty nets in all weathers and the soles wore out before any signs of a leak. If you were standing still in cold water for long periods then a thermal type would suit you best but for occasional use normal cheapish thigh ones by Dunlop could serve you well. As regards chest waders unless you are a real good swimmer and are wearing a good flotation type jacket/vest and have confidence in your abilities to cope, I would leave well alone. One slip and a drop of water in the lungs could be your last fishing trip. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If you want to get some chest waders Jack try these

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/chest ... 0/no/58851

They cost £40, have a boot foot and are pretty rugged. Of course you will sweat in the summer but hey, we all used to sweat in our waders before the breathable jobs were introduced. They are not perfect but a damned good all rounder. If you get on with wading you can always upgrade to waders and the separate boots (with studded felt soles) at a later date. They are far superior but at a cost.

Make sure you have polaroids on and a wading stick or stout landing net handle as safety is a string consideration - the push of the river can be quite alarming at times.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

For general purpose rubber thigh waders I use Dunlop Streamfishers.I have had the same pair for 10 years and repair holes and cuts with proprietary rubber wader
repair glue that will last a long time if kept in the fridge between being used.For summer fishing I use a pair of Grays Goretex chest waders with stocking foot wader boots with tungsten studs.These are also ten years old.The waders have been repaired by the well known "Diver Dave".These type of waders and boots are essential when boat fishing in Ireland as you often need to wade to launch and get the boat out and the concrete slipways or rocks can be very slippery.If it's colder and for pike fishing in winter I use a pair of Ron Thompson Neoprene Chest waders which are warm and robust.These have also given me fault free service for over ten years.Chest waders are best stored hanging full length.Although more expensive chest waders with a zip are handy as without a zip it can be somewhat difficult to have a pee,especially if you are middle aged(like me) and in a hurry!
Mark Davies

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd recommend measuring yourself fairly diligently and chose according to fit. My father has recently bought a new pair and found that out the UK makes were a hopeless fit (for him) but the American makes were much better. He bought Scierra as they were the best fitting, the price was very good. The American brands seem to have more sizes but for dad and I the UK brands are all too long in the leg. If you are interested I can put you in touch with a supplier who is a stockist and top quality repairer, he also has second hand in stock. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Do need to go up to your waist or more? Or just protect your legs from long wet grass and to stand in water over your knees?

First one requires chesties. Breathable with a stocking feet and a pair of wading boots = expensive!! Especially if you include the "winter" under wear needed.

Second one - rubber thigh waders will best - worn with BAMA SOKKETS - they will do fine and as said above last some time if treated well - ie hung up!
You can also get wader warmer/driers which keeps them from ever getting smelly/mouldy!

A size bigger or 2 sizes bigger - tight rubber (non-neoprene lined) boots will be cold!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

If you go anywhere with sharp rocks or thorns or that is very slippery (I do a lot of wading on reefs and rocks lure fishing for bass), I'd strongly recommend separate wading boots and thigh/waist/chest waders with neoprene stocking feet. You can more easily fit anti-slip studs in a pattern you like and only need to replace the leg it if you pierce them. As Olly says, get boots one or two sizes larger so you can use socks under the neoprene.

I you do any winter wading, invest in some biker underwear. In my experience, it's a lot better and a lot cheaper than the ones made for anglers.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

As has been mentioned by Reedling if you buy chest waders you need to factor into cost of the life saver, be it a wading jacket with built in device or the Crewsaver type. I don't know how much they cost now but IIRC I paid about £90 for mine.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”