Recommend some chest waders please

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Mercman
Roach

Recommend some chest waders please

Post by Mercman »

After a fantastic and very informative meeting with Tengisgol today regarding my forthcoming trip to the river Wye in June I think I need to get myself some size 11 chest waders. Having never bought these before can anyone recommend a particular make and a good place to purchase them from please.

Thanks for any advice with this.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Recommend some chest waders please

Post by Kingfisher »

I'm no authority on chest waders but have been looking at some Bison neoprene ones on ebay. I used to have the nylon ones but I don't recommend them as the river Wye starts high up in the black mountains here in Wales and the water can be really cold, you'll be warmer if you go for neoprene.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

800 quid! I'd wade in my stocking feet and Y fronts before I paid that.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I use the leeda breathable waist/trouser waders they are only around £60-70 online
Breathable waders are fine for all season wading in the uk, you do not sweat too much in the summer, and just wear thermal underwear during colder water.
I like them as I do not need to risk my life by wading any deeper than my waist, and I use them trotting for barbel on the Wye.
i use the stocking foot wader with seperate wading boots

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

GORE-TEX! Only Gore-Tex! Well, I know the answer is not easy but go for something cheap and you will find you having 2 to 3 waders in the end all in the cupboard before you finally go for something worth it. If you have seen Phil in his waders you will know that this man literally lived in his waders. He uses an old Simms model. Because of a long conversation about them I got the same version used. I still feel very sad that the stocking feet were too small to me. But still: that trouser is still my heavy rain trouser as I now cut off the stocking feet. It feels like a second skin and that's why I will never give it away. So what did I do in terms of a wader? I got me the SIMMS Headwaters. It is possible to roll it down to your hips in summer. It is unfortunately not as soft as that old model but if I had to decide again I would buy it again. Hope that helps and cheers to Phil :cheers:
Last edited by OldTackle on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Personal experience of chest waders is that whatever type you go for they all seem to fit very differently. There's nothing to beat trying them on in a shop rather than mail-ordering.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Wagtail wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 pm Personal experience of chest waders is that whatever type you go for they all seem to fit very differently. There's nothing to beat trying them on in a shop rather than mail-ordering.
Yes, true but not impossible. I had to order twice to get the right size finally. All a bit dependent on finances I fear. :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Neoprene waders can get too hot and sweaty if you have to walk far.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Just a few thoughts on the Red Lion at Bredwardine and the question of, 'should I take waders' if you might be heading there for the first time? These are just my thoughts (I noticed yesterday from an old letter that I first went there in November 1990!) and based particularly on the way my approach has evolved. I wouldn't want to set 'hares running', have someone spend a heap of money, and then wonder if it was worthwhile...

First, you will absolutely get away with it if you don't have a pair. Most of the swims, as others will say, you won't need them. So if this is the only place you'll ever wear them, and if you are only likely to go back once a season, don't feel like you have to.

In most swims you are fishing from the bank so any strong boots or wellies will be just fine. However, the way my fishing evolved on the RL, they did become an essential piece of kit. We wear breathable waders (Simms are the best by a mile but are expensive) and this gives the ability to start at beat two and walk and wade and explore as you go along. Combined with a wading jacket I am 100% dry in all weathers. Literally, a rod and bucket of bait, bits of tackle in pockets and a landing net and you can roam and splosh in and out all day long. With breathable waders and a light jacket you can walk and fish three or four miles and stay 100% dry in the rain (and dry and comfortable also if it is hot, given the 'breathability' of the Goretex).

Wading is possible at the very top of beat one, the bottom of beat two and down through three. There is a little wading at the very top of beat four but most is deeper water and almost all of beat five is bank fishing. It is only when you get to the very bottom of beat five that you might need to use waders. You won't need them on beat six apart from at the very top. Beat six is also available as a day ticket (not just hotel residents).

So, in short, you will absolutely not have to have waders to fish there (and most won't have them) but for a roving approach, or for float fishing some swims, they do give a little advantage in my opinion. Roll on May, I'll be there for a spot of fly fishing!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”