Oiled leather boot care

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: Oiled leather boot care

Post by Reedling »

When I was on the post I would have to cycle through the countryside and out to all the little farms along muddy tracks come wind, rain, snow,ice etc. We were issued Doctor Marten shoes and they didn't arf take some stick, all I used to keep them in good shape was cherry blossom black boot polish. They always remained good till the soles wore out, I was always reluctant to give them up as they were like parting with a good friend.... saddles were like that as well, hated a new one when the old split etc.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Me and the missus use baby oil on all our leather equipment never had any problems paul :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Thanks for the advice chaps, been talking via pm to a ex military member and he recommended mink oil so that's what I've gone for.
Gave my boots a light coat yesterday, pleased with the results so far, hardly any colour change and very little shine.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Buy some Renapur leather balsam , ive used it for years on all my leather boots ,game bag leather etc . Kindest regards W B

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Iasked a similar Q in a shoe menders.The chap suggested Timpson Cobblers Cream which he said he used.It works fine but needs to be done in warm conditions i reckon so it can soak in.It stayed a little creamy on my boots for a little while.I did plaster it on,so perhaps little and often would be better.

Kirpan
Bleak

Post by Kirpan »

I use a product called " Leder-Gris ", it describes itself as traditional bootcare for modern water reppellent leathers and it comes as standard or xtreme, the xtreme [that's how they spell it] is to soften leather that is getting stiff after soaking, well it does what it says on the tin !

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello everyone - Interesting subject, I wash them after getting muddy in warm soapy water and dig all the stones out from the sole, stuff them with news paper till dry then apply boot or shoe polish leave for a while then buff to a nice shine. To water proof them there are a lot of lotions and potions on the market, after polishing with polish I use bog standard dubbin, if you dont know its like a traditional grease for boots and leather stuff. neatsfoot oil is used for softening leather so it does not crack, All good stuff and the baby oil sound like a good softener

Regards Trevor

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I was joking about the baby oil :whistle:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Timberland recommend this stuff https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tb ... r-A1DDR000 for their oiled or waxed boots. They have stuff for suede and nubuck as well, which is a spray on solution https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tb ... r-A1DCT000. That used to be mink oil too, back when I had my first pair of their boots in 1991 and I used it on those and also a much loved pair of Justin boots http://www.justinboots.com/footwear/men ... ssics/2253 I got in 2000 (still going strong) but I think they use something else these days. Whatever they use, it works.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

BobTheFloat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm I was joking about the baby oil :whistle:
What about the 'leather equipment'?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”