Oiled leather boot care

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Oiled leather boot care

Post by Stathamender »

Reedling wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 am When I was on the post I would have to cycle through the countryside and out to all the little farms along muddy tracks come wind, rain, snow,ice etc. We were issued Doctor Marten shoes and they didn't arf take some stick, all I used to keep them in good shape was cherry blossom black boot polish. They always remained good till the soles wore out, I was always reluctant to give them up as they were like parting with a good friend.... saddles were like that as well, hated a new one when the old split etc.
About 15 years ago DM shoes went through a really bad patch: several weeks of agony breaking them in then the soles would split after six months. Gave up on them after that. My favourite boots for anything other than when only wellies will do are Magnum Stealth/Classic, easy to wear and will cope with just about anything. As used by Jackson Brodie.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I have always used Properts Saddle Soap on my boots and thoroughly recommend it.
It keeps the leather beautifully soft and supple and you can use it on all your other leather items also..straps, belts, wallets..

It's not the cheapest, but by far and away the best there is!

I would tend to stay away from Neatsfoot oil..it's a bit whiffy and can Make boot leather sticky.

Regards from

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm
BobTheFloat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 pm I was joking about the baby oil :whistle:
What about the 'leather equipment'?
Yeah and that :laugh1:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I have a pair of Karrimor boots made in Italy, I've had them three years now walked miles in them and hunt in them three times a week in the winter where they regularly get wet and muddy, I use Nikwax which is readily available and gives a waxy finish, every now and then I use normal shoe polish to put some colour back in the leather.
Tight lines Dave

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:50 pm
Reedling wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 am When I was on the post I would have to cycle through the countryside and out to all the little farms along muddy tracks come wind, rain, snow,ice etc. We were issued Doctor Marten shoes and they didn't arf take some stick, all I used to keep them in good shape was cherry blossom black boot polish. They always remained good till the soles wore out, I was always reluctant to give them up as they were like parting with a good friend.... saddles were like that as well, hated a new one when the old split etc.
About 15 years ago DM shoes went through a really bad patch: several weeks of agony breaking them in then the soles would split after six months. Gave up on them after that. My favourite boots for anything other than when only wellies will do are Magnum Stealth/Classic, easy to wear and will cope with just about anything. As used by Jackson Brodie.
Still using DM's and have never had a problem with soles splitting Stathamnder, you will see me wearing them recently in my ventures down the rivers Darent and Stour (see my pictures in 'End of season river bash', general chat). They are just so comfortable to wear when I am plodding about, and providing you keep them well polished they clean up a treat. Obviously not suitable for all round use but when I need to walk a lot over rough ground or for cycling they are my first choice.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a pair of HI-GEAR walking boots... they are like slippers and were comfy from the off, I use Neatsfoot oil on mine as the wife still has a bottle from her Horsey days... keeps em supple and waterproof :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

My mother thinks baby oil would probably dry out and crack the leather just as well you were joking

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”