Fishing Waistcoats

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Fishing Waistcoats

Post by OldTackle »

Match Aerial wrote:The best one in my opinion was the john Wilson, shame they don't make them any more.
I bought one but don't know which one you mean. There is a Masterline promotion video with him where he is wearing just that. I will report when it arrives.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I have a number of them but only one fits now :)

a Wychwood fly fishing waistcoat

a generic olive green safari / photographers waistcoat

and my favorite, a "vintage" Banana Republic safari / hunters vest, wonderful ting with more well thought out pockets than you can shake a stick at :) ( google is your friend here )

I also have a tweed shooting gilet but haven't tried it fishing yet.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

OldTackle wrote:
Match Aerial wrote:The best one in my opinion was the john Wilson, shame they don't make them any more.
I bought one but don't know which one you mean. There is a Masterline promotion video with him where he is wearing just that. I will report when it arrives.

The one I liked Christopher was the "corduroy" one. He did a lightweight mesh type as well made my Masterline.
Like a lot of John Wilson gear it was well thought out, top notch stuff at the right price.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

I use two- for flyfishing (ie deep wading) a Simms job . Top end pricey but beautifully made and sits beautifully on my shoulders , even with lots of flyboxes , scales, nylon ,net and lunch . For summer coarse fishing a cheap Orvis long waistcoat - takes a huge amount of gear and bait. Not really a fishing waistcoat but the sort of thing ageing American tourists often wear .

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Thought the idea of a waistcoat was the minimalist approach John ?

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

It is but what I call a huge amount of gear is minimalist by most standards. So my coarse waistcoat when stalking for carp will contain some spare line, camera , scales , binoculars, polaroids , forceps and terminal tackle (hooks and controllers ) . Add in some bait and a can of pop and that's it

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I don't like a lot of pockets mainly because I cant remember which pocket I put something in and have to search through them all to find it.
I got one of these from Orvis, four pockets only.
http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/montrose-moles ... tcoat/14z0

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

This is by Orvis and is more of a safari / photography design but ideal for the roving angler :Thumb:

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Mark wrote:And on that note Grazy I have just ordered myself a Snowbee waistcoat as per my first post in this thread. :Hat:
Mark, How are you getting on with it? I've considered buying one as I think it would enable me to leave the tackle bag behind. I carry so little actual fishing tackle that it would easily fit in a waistcoat. If/when you are sitting in it how comfortable is it with pockets of stuff?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Beresford wrote:
Mark wrote:And on that note Grazy I have just ordered myself a Snowbee waistcoat as per my first post in this thread. :Hat:
Mark, How are you getting on with it? I've considered buying one as I think it would enable me to leave the tackle bag behind. I carry so little actual fishing tackle that it would easily fit in a waistcoat. If/when you are sitting in it how comfortable is it with pockets of stuff?
For me Tim it is perfect, plenty of pockets and still comfortable when they are full. I can never stay in one place for too long and this is ideal for me when on the move. Over the years I have had a couple of waistcoats and this has been the best by far. It is expensive for a waistcoat but it looks like it will wear well, only time will tell.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”