Does any forum members dress like this when fishing ?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Gurn
Chub

Re: Does any forum members dress like this when fishing ?

Post by Gurn »

I do like to get the tweed and moleskins out in the winter....

...Not nearly as dapper as Mal though.

I think my favourite photo is of the great angler Pete Frost with his legendary Tiddenfoot 31lb carp from 1960.

Not 'Tiddenford' as written here....

Literally 'suited and booted' :Ok:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I think Ray Mumford always looked smart
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

AshbyCut wrote:I always admired this photo of Harvey Torbett :-

... and make my own small contribution to piscatorial standards when I can ... primarily because it's practical (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !!!) :-

I remember that day well. I was the only one with a modern 'ish car and scruffy dress. It was a really pleasant day and a privelage to meet Sir Ashbycut and Sir Deafcat. :Hat:

Shame the trout were ruining the coarse fishing but a fish is a fish and if I remember rightly, I couldn't get one on my hook, when a trout would have been the final species to catch. :Brickwall:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Little bit sad that picture! Never again will we get to sup at the A40 tea station! :Cry:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Old, scruffy, grass stained jeans and a bramble torn T-shirt is what I normally wear, along with a pair of old walking boots. In winter I replace the boots for wellies, with nice warm lining and a proper modern waterproof and thermal hat.

The smartest things I fish in without doubt are my green, woollen, fingerless gloves that were hand knitted for me by my Auntie.
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Image :Cool:

this was taken at the Carpology Social a few years back... the wife made the hat... still got the outfit somewhere
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Some people seem to dress better for fishing than I do for going out :shocked:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Dave Burr wrote:Some people seem to dress better for fishing than I do for going out :shocked:
Same for me - and many others. Nothing wrong with that, each to their own choice.

As i spend much of my fishing time stalking for carp I wear clothes that are practical for that- colours that blend in, often camo, waterproof trousers for sitting on the ground, kneeling, crawling and walking through often very wet tall grasses. Smilarly t-shirts, sweatshirts for walking through undergrowth, in between bushes, etc
A tarp hat - very hardwearing and a good colour for stalking, plus wellingtons, also very practical for walking on boggy ground or standing in the water at the edge to net fish in tight spots.
For wet weather and the colder months i wear an old barbour with a hood, but also have a barbour waterproof hat.
In warm, dry conditions where I am seated for float fishing then its trainers, jeans and t-shirt.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Julian wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Some people seem to dress better for fishing than I do for going out :shocked:
Same for me - and many others. Nothing wrong with that, each to their own choice.

As i spend much of my fishing time stalking for carp I wear clothes that are practical for that- colours that blend in, often camo, waterproof trousers for sitting on the ground, kneeling, crawling and walking through often very wet tall grasses. Smilarly t-shirts, sweatshirts for walking through undergrowth, in between bushes, etc
A tarp hat - very hardwearing and a good colour for stalking, plus wellingtons, also very practical for walking on boggy ground or standing in the water at the edge to net fish in tight spots.
For wet weather and the colder months i wear an old barbour with a hood, but also have a barbour waterproof hat.
In warm, dry conditions where I am seated for float fishing then its trainers, jeans and t-shirt.
I`m glad to see that yourself and Dave also dress such , I do as well.........possibly normal? :Sarcasm: :Sarcasm:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I used to look like some one from Goose Green in '82 especially in the winter.

These days the camo mostly takes a back seat apart from my Shimano real tree fleece. I tend to wear back or grey t- shirt, beige cargo/combat trousers jumper and my old angling club sweatshirt in winter. on my feet in summer battered of addidas gazelles which I use for the garden as well, in winter my trusty magnum combat boots.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”