Flat caps.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Flat caps.

Post by Penninelad »

The best caps are those that do make you look like you are a 1920's paper boy!The bigger the rim the better as the water does not drip down your neck. I buy mine from Whippel's,the clerical and legal outfitters on Albert Square,Manchester.They are lovely and warm if like me you do not have much hair!
Mark Davies

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

....and we 'ad real butter for tea... :Hahaha:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have a tweed paper boys cap, the wife hates it. Mind she won't let me have a flat cap because she says I look like one of the traveller community (most polite way I could put that); I wouldn't care but coming from a farming family I was practically born with a flat cap on and really want one....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

My flat cap, which I acquired from my dad, lives in my game bag. The Mrs wouldn't let me out of the house in it, for the same reasons as POD's Mrs.

I like the crushable bush hat on the Jaxon site and last year in Co Kerry I saw a lovely green tweed flat cap, might ask the otherv half about one of those when we go again this year but i think I know the answer!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I agree a cloth cap is too hot in the summer and I wear a Tilley or Panama hat.
Mark Davies

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

For autumn/winter its a tweed flat cap, Akubra Angler Hat, Fur trapper hat. For spring/summer it is Akubra Angler Hat, panama or shooting cap

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There isn't room for me to list all my hats ... but they range from a Fedora in summer ... to an Edinburgh Woollen Mills Harris Tweed Grouse hat in spring and autumn ... to a Deerstalker in winter ... and yes, before you ask, I do wear it to Tesco, not just for angling !

My one real regret is that Mrs. AC's grandfather had a tiny head ... and his Straw Boater doesn't fit by a long way ... but I will own one one day !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Necarper

Post by Necarper »

GazTheAngler wrote: and last year in Co Kerry I saw a lovely green tweed flat cap,
Sneak one on her :whistle:
those green ones are available on line from the Blarney Woolen Mills or from Moriartys in County Kerry

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Necarper,

Lots of nice jewellery shops in places like Kemare and Dingle, SWMBO is partial to celtic stuff, perhaps a bit of bribery.

Of course all those woollen and tweed shops there get filled up with folks from your part of the world in the summer.

I tried on a tweed jacket last year while the mrs was busy sorting out her elderly mum, went down like the Titanic, would stand more chance with the cap.

Necarper

Post by Necarper »

GazTheAngler wrote: filled up with folks from your part of the world in the summer..
eh up lad, I's a Lanky lad though ant through...... just happen live here for t'mo. But know what you mean.... at least with my accent I don't get mistaken for one of them !!

Of course there is always the Kangol shop, they have a decent range.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”